Potentially rocky start with Orange...

Options
Hello,

I'm in the process of migrating to Orange from Vodafone (both pay monthly contracts).

After not being happy at all with Vodafone (am on my 4th refurb phone as the model is just so unreliable, and they only replace like for like), I'm out with just a few months to go left on the contract.

I applied for a great deal with Orange over the phone and they did a credit check, which was immediately approved. I got my scheduled delivery date, that was due to be delivered yesterday after being approved on the Monday, and they took a £5 deposit from my account. On the morning of the delivery date I got a confirmation that it was arriving between 13:47 and 14:57 (very precise!), however, the phone didn't turn up.

I range Orange customer services and the first lady I spoke to told me that it was due to be delivered but it hadn't and that she would find out the problem and ring me back in 5-10 mins.

After an hour, no dice, and so I rang back. The second CS lady I spoke to said the person that had sold me the contract hadn't fully followed procedure and that on my file there was an entry made on the Tuesday that they needed proof of address, despite the original credit check going through. They didn't ring and let me know, though, so I waited around for a phone that was never going to come. I sent of proof of address today and hope that it gets sorted quickly. Still utterly confused though.

Is this a sign of things to come? And is it worth backing out now while I can?

Thanks.

Comments

• d.m_3
    d.m_3 Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    mrsgideon wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm in the process of migrating to Orange from Vodafone (both pay monthly contracts).

After not being happy at all with Vodafone (am on my 4th refurb phone as the model is just so unreliable, and they only replace like for like), I'm out with just a few months to go left on the contract.

I applied for a great deal with Orange over the phone and they did a credit check, which was immediately approved. I got my scheduled delivery date, that was due to be delivered yesterday after being approved on the Monday, and they took a £5 deposit from my account. On the morning of the delivery date I got a confirmation that it was arriving between 13:47 and 14:57 (very precise!), however, the phone didn't turn up.

I range Orange customer services and the first lady I spoke to told me that it was due to be delivered but it hadn't and that she would find out the problem and ring me back in 5-10 mins.

After an hour, no dice, and so I rang back. The second CS lady I spoke to said the person that had sold me the contract hadn't fully followed procedure and that on my file there was an entry made on the Tuesday that they needed proof of address, despite the original credit check going through. They didn't ring and let me know, though, so I waited around for a phone that was never going to come. I sent of proof of address today and hope that it gets sorted quickly. Still utterly confused though.

Is this a sign of things to come? And is it worth backing out now while I can?

Thanks.
    You're just a one-off case I think. Orange have been awesome with me since January. Can't fault their customer service at all. Not sure if it's because I have a relatively high (£40 tariff @ £30) or because my household pays ~ £70 to orange each month, but they always deal with me quickly and without any fuss.

Give them a chance. I've had the odd billing issue with them but it's always been rectified within 5 minutes on the phone (from dialing to termination).
  • mrsgideon
    mrsgideon Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, d.m. I hope so!
  • d.m_3
    d.m_3 Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    My BlackBerry made an annoying clicking nosie with oen of the buttons. gave them a call 2 weeks after I had the phone and because it was within the 1 month notiece period they sent me a new phone the next day via courier. Things happen, sometimes bad things and sometimes good things. If i compared the number of good vs. bad thigns that have happened unexpectedly with orange, the good would outweigh the bad.

Hope it works out well for you.
  • mrsgideon
    mrsgideon Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you. I suppose what is most unnerving really is the faff with the acceptance and then rejection of the credit check. I don't understand how that could happen. Surely if they needed proof of address in order to accept it, they wouldn't have had accepted it in the first place. So confused...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure