PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

please help i am desperate tonight.

Options
hi mse,
Please can anybody help me i am so stressed. My dad died 5 weeks ago leaving farmland and property to my mum. Mum cannot manage the land so needs to sell quickly. my problem is tonight she has been approached by a property developer who firstly offered her a house and extra cash for the farm which she declined as she wants to move to a different area but before he makes up his mind wether he want to purchase the farm he asked my mum for the deads, again she refused but said she would give him a photocopy of the deads tomorrow. Should she give him a copy or not . thanks for all your advise.

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,660 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why does he want a copy of the deeds? If he had asked me for a copy, I would have refused.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    if she is selling she will need a solicitor. Her solicitor should deal with the potential buyers solicitor to answer any queries about the deeds.
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • carefullycautious
    Options
    Your mum should not be making any rash decision at present, especially without legal advice.

And no she should not be giving strangers any paperwork.
  • timmyt
    timmyt Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Options
    hi mse,
    Please can anybody help me i am so stressed. My dad died 5 weeks ago leaving farmland and property to my mum. Mum cannot manage the land so needs to sell quickly. my problem is tonight she has been approached by a property developer who firstly offered her a house and extra cash for the farm which she declined as she wants to move to a different area but before he makes up his mind wether he want to purchase the farm he asked my mum for the deads, again she refused but said she would give him a photocopy of the deads tomorrow. Should she give him a copy or not . thanks for all your advise.

as a lawyer myself, DO NOT. Have him go through your mum's lawyer - no exceptions.
    My posts are just my opinions and are not offered as legal advice - though I consider them darn fine opinions none the less.:cool2:

My bad spelling...well I rush type these opinions on my own time, so sorry, but they are free.:o
  • Marsh_Samphire
    Options
    :eek: No, don't let him hassle your mum into a quick decision while she is vulnerable. He sounds like a right vulture trying to pressure her so he gets himself a good deal = rips her off.
    Marsh Samphire
  • surreybased
    surreybased Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    I hope your mum doesn't feel so stressed by the situation that she will act quickly.She needs to have time to think this through. The farm and land is is a valuable asset and it needs to be fairly assessed.
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's no good reason for him to want the deeds so don't give them to him, not even a copy! It sounds very iffy to me.......
  • mpet
    mpet Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If a property developer has approached your Mum and is trying to hassle her into selling, the land is obviously desirable and would be easily sold - if she needs a quick sale.

However, you Mum should not be hurried into anything - she should certainly not be handing over paperwork relating to the land - copies or otherwise.

This is obviously a stressful time for you and especially your Mum. She would probably be better putting the matter into the hands of a reputable agent who can handle the sale for her. This would ensure she gets the best price and keeps the hassle to a minimum.
  • mogadon
    mogadon Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    He may want the deeds to check for covenants and agricultural tennancy restrictions. If there are any, they would usually considerably reduce the value of the land. I still wouldn't give them to him though, especially not when he is being so pushy, it would make me very suspicious.

Your Mum needs proper legal advice. In the meantime, perhaps the 2 of you could go through the Deeds together and check for any covenants and restrictions so that your Mum is clear about what exactly it is she owns. The more she knows about it, the harder it will be for someone to rip her off.
  • Eric1
    Eric1 Posts: 490 Forumite
    Options
    he asked my mum for the deads, again she refused but said she would give him a photocopy of the deads tomorrow. Should she give him a copy or not . thanks for all your advise.
    Doesn't sound right. What does he need them for?
    Why not tell him to buy a copy from the land registry?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure