MSE News: Payday lottery could scupper Halifax reward cash

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Thousands of Halifax and Bank of Scotland (Hbos) customers are missing out on current account cashback due to the lottery of their payday date ..."

Replies

• How utterly ridiculous. It beggars belief that HBOS suggest the solution to this problem is for employees to ask their employers to pay them differently, when HBOS could show a bit more flexibility for those affected.

I can just imagine big companies like Vodafone, Tesco and the NHS happily rearranging their payment date to accommodate the wishes of employees who want a £5 bonus on their accounts...NOT!

Perhaps HBOS should take a long hard look at itself and try to offer a practical and helpful solution to its customers rather than making them do the hard work.

Ridiculous, again.
  • I thnk it's absalutely ridiculous that MSE sensationalises this!
    It's £5 once in a while and its certainly not worth such a daming story.
    I've noticed a trend with MSE stories doing this.
  • edited 29 April 2010 at 12:04PM
    Premier_2Premier_2 Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 April 2010 at 12:04PM
    Can't anyone affected (and who really want's that fiver) simply pop into their local branch on or just after the first working day of the month, withdraw £1000 from their account and then once it has been carefully counted out in front of them say thank you and ask to deposit it again?

If the queues in the halifax are long enough with enough customers doing just this, I'm sure they will review the situation.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Why doesn't HBOS not just setup a database of all pay days for all UK employers, pension providers, grants, student loans, tax credits and benefits.

They can then make manual £5 reward payments where relevant.

:rotfl:

Talk about a non-story
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thnk it's absalutely ridiculous that MSE sensationalises this!
    It's £5 once in a while and its certainly not worth such a daming story.
    I've noticed a trend with MSE stories doing this.

What tosh!

I hadn't read this story before but don't see any problem with it.

The £5 reward is the KEY SELL from Halifax - we've had a number of emails people wanting to know why they haven't got their money - have followed it thorugh - found a reason and published it.

This site is here to help people - by warning them of the issue they may get it.

Its not sensationalised its just written up in an interesting way - I dont see MSE Guy has done anything wrong and doesn't deserve that comment.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • glider3560glider3560 Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hardly feel that it is the bank's fault that your payday falls on a bank holiday.

Perhaps for people who are affected by this, they could plan in advance that this will happen and simply transfer £1000 out and then back in. It doesn't need to be done in one go, so if you only have £100 available, then you can do it ten times. You don't even need an account elsewhere. A simple Halifax Websaver account will suffice.
  • opinions4uopinions4u
    19.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How utterly ridiculous. It beggars belief that HBOS suggest the solution to this problem is for employees to ask their employers to pay them differently
    I agree with that.
    when HBOS could show a bit more flexibility for those affected.
    I don't agree with that. The T&Cs are clear enough and don't need "flexibility" when they are already very flexible on what they consider to be an acceptable £1,000 credit.
    Perhaps HBOS should take a long hard look at itself and try to offer a practical and helpful solution to its customers rather than making them do the hard work.
    Or perhaps customers should open a web saver account, transfer £1,000 in to it and 10 seconds later transfer it straight back to the current account to earn their fiver.

It's a non-story and the small number of account holders affected can and should act to get their fiver - with a simple online movement of funds.
  • phildo_2phildo_2 Forumite
    43 Posts
    Agreed... I 100% agree with promoting financial awareness amongst people and perhaps the article should have simply highlighted the risk of missing the £5 if you are paid close to month end and reminded people what they can do to mitigate..............

BUT it's not the bank at fault, it's people not reading the t&c's and owning their finances.
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    As it is being paid on the 15th it doesn't affect me, but If it did I would just move the money about.

Likewise my better halfs wage can be just short of £1000 some months so I just send what it needed and she sends it back.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • dtaylor84dtaylor84 Forumite
    648 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I agree that it's a bit of a non-story, although worth flagging up to those who may be affected so they can work around the problem.

However I think the word 'subsequently' should probably be replaced by 'consequently', as that paragraph is rather confusing as it stands.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

NS&I to change Premium Bond prize rate

It will rise to 1.40% from June

MSE News

Compers of the MSE Forum:

Show us the prizes you've won recently

Join the MSE Forum discussion