Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

May 2010 Grocery Challenge - Page 23

New Post Advanced Search

May 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 April 2010 at 6:30PM in Old Style MoneySaving
812 replies 65.2K views

Replies

• Hi

nsd today, yippee, dont have many of those!

Im all meal planned for the next few days and have shopped accordingly, so will need milk, as usual, and some different fruit to apples but thats it, and dont 'need' either at the moment.

Planning a nsd tommorow, going to sort the mountain of laundry that needs putting away and if the weather is nice, go for a walk and burn off some calories.

Night everyone x
  • giengien Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Just. 1.60 francs for today on some spuds.
    I did though turn out some cupboards and drawers, cleaned them and did an inventory so now I know exactly what I have and what I need.
    Tomorrows dinner is done (stew) but we need milk and bread.
    Trying to keep in budget.

• 4kids4cats4kids4cats Forumite
    34 posts
    Hi, well I did my first shop of the month on Friday - spent £54.09 in Asda. I was quite pleased with that. I knew I had to pick up a couple of items in Lidl (their cuccumbers are much cheaper!), which was fine. Then I did what I always do (and the thing that I am now determined to stop doing!) - I 'popped in' to Sainsburys (for a couple of things for lunch) and Asda (again) for lightbulbs and a few things I had forgotten and the market and Tesco - and all those little shops added up to a whopping £73.87 - far more than my 'official' weekly shop. Oh dear, now maybe I can see where my money has been going....
    Anyway, the Tesco shop was a good one for 'woopsies' so I have 4 loaves in the freezer and lots of fruit (sons eat it like it's going out of fashion) and at the market I got a huge box of apples which work out at about two thirds of the price I would pay in the supermarket. So, a bit of a dodgy start, but I am determined to do better in the weeks to come.

• Doom_and_GloomDoom_and_Gloom Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well we have spent £8.49 so far leaving us with £99.51 out of £108 for the rest of the month (sent fiance to the shop with a list that he had to stick to. Only thing that wasn't on it was the satsumas but at 17p for 10 I wasn't going to have a go at him and he knew it :rotfl:). We do need to do another shop soon to be honest though. This one was just to get us by until we can go and do a bigger shop :o.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • SunnydaySunnyday Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    wildchild wrote: »
    Hallo,

Am new on here and I have just discovered this thread. Could I join please as we always overspend on food and I could do with a challenge to cut down. Up to now we spent about £400 - £500 per month on food for two of us:eek:.

Would like to cut this down to £300 to start with.

Helloooo! :wave: glad you found it :D

I`ve not updated my siggy yet with the last spend, it was only £1.29 though. I shall probably spend some more today as M&S have their tins of extra lean stewing steak on offer at half price so £1.29 each :D

I always try and keep some of this in the store cupboard as it makes a great emergency biryani. I just throw it in a pan with onions, rice and curry sauce. Great for stopping us calling for a takeaway when we are pushed for time etc.

I`ve not had any in for ages as its got sooo expensive. I`ll be in there later today on my way home.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • savvyshesavvyshe Forumite
    96 posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    Good morning all,:)

Have just added up receipts and am surprised, £44.72 thats if of course I havent forgotten any, will check with DH if he has any.
    We seem to have spent a lot of money on other things this month so things don't seem to be going to plan. Ds3 needed new trainers £39.99 DS birthday (that just reminds me We went to AS** for some juice and spent????? got a cake, very OS!!:mad:and lots of other bits and bobs DH has that receipt so ignore above total):o is tomorrow and 2 good freinds birthdays are this week ,plus a gift of beer and wine for some very needed paving slabs, to other friend. DS3 sponsor money £25.00 (have not had time to collect money in yet) plus his £25.00 trip money and £52.00 for Sports activity, the list is endless. Sorry to go on but everything seems to come at once!! Will definately have to curb spending to stick to plan.

One good thing is we have decided to delay holiday till August so it will give us longer to save up for that. I think a car boot is due:rotfl:anyway will have to go as I need to be early in work today, so will post new totals later. Thanks for 'listening' to my moaning:A

savvyshe
    M&S 2,200.00
    Barclaycard £3840.00
  • natlienatlie Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    this week so far have spent £2.75 monday on milk and £6.10 last night on milk, bread, hot, choc and 2 drinks for the girls
    DMP: £30,668 £29,109.15
    EF & Pots: £1731.64/£5000
    Debt Free: April Feb 2024
    Income from decluttering 2020: £92
  • JayJay14JayJay14 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Just popped on to update sig.

Not doing very well really, spent far too much as I am not at work this week and the shops are just too handy. I can't keep this up as I just don't have the money to spare so will have to just stay at home and get all those jobs done that I have listed.
  • edited 5 May 2010 at 8:56AM
    rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 May 2010 at 8:56AM
    Welcome to our newbies - Lindy - Loo, iambrianblessed, bobbybobb, J04nne, bectoria, and Wildchild :hello: and welcome back to our returners, sorry if I've missed anyone! Good luck with the challenge.

longtermlurker - recipes for Weetabix cake and Weetabix Fruit Loaf are both in the front page recipe list in post #6 :) I've added your Cheese, Onion and Herb Bread recipe too :T

I had a small sainsbugs delivery yesterday so now have everything I need for this month apart from veg/fruit; I'm still working my way through the freezer and beginning to see space but then I cook something and freeze spare portions that fill it up again! :D Working through my store cupboard too, and drawing up a plan of what to store and what not for when I do my pre-winter stock up.

Hoping to do some more baking today, been fancying sponge cake with jam and buttercream for days and still not got round to it!

Sending Positive Vibes to those of you worrying about redundancy or illness.

I've always loved gardening but dont have a garden of my own any more so I'm really enjoying your posts about veggie plots and things :T there's absolutely nothing else in the world like the satisfaction you get from preparing a meal with food you've grown yourself. :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • MrsBsBlogMrsBsBlog Forumite
    64 posts
    Hi all,
    just popped in to update my siggy, £26.18. Not too bad, but hoping today will be a NSD, but I know i`ll have to do a shop tomorrow as we need cereal. Keep up the good work everyone.
    Grocery Challenge 2010 £400 each month
    January £377.67 February £375.18 March £355.43
    April £506.23 May £381.04 June £88.58