MSE News: Stop queuing at cash machines – there's no need

13»

Replies

• I agree with Bluecaster - at the local shopping mall there are always queues galore outside banks and building societies when just inside the branch cash machines are available for immediate use - moral : check inside before joining the queue Simples!
    :smileyheaKosmicPink225:smileyhea
  • runaroundpauperrunaroundpauper Forumite
    84 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Could i just say that i spend a lot of times on cash machines for the right reasons and i am still amaized after all these years how blatant people are at cash points they do not cover there pin they do not check the cardreader slot you put a sign up it gets ripped off and them someone puts there card straight througth the hole .with out looking .Dont know if this is the right place but maybe a survey on if people actually take any notice at the cash point may be benoficial because in my opion its got to be above 70% that take no notice

Just an observation but now wonder skimming so rife
    COVER PIN ALL TIMES

CHECK THE LIGHT COVER MATCHES THE ONE NEXT TO IT

SEE IF THERE ARE ANY STICKY MARKS AROUND WHERE YOU PUT YOUR CARD AND THE COLOURS MATCH ON THE FASCIA

SMALL HOLES ABOVE KEYPAD

ADVERTISEMANT SIGN TAMPERED WITH

CHECK THAT THE SHUTTER THE BIT YOU GET YOUR CASH OUT OF IS FLUSH AGAINST THE THE ATM FACE

AND MOST IMPORTANT YOU MUST BE 100% ALERT IF THE ATM NEXT TO IT IS OUT OF ORDER

AND IF YOU DO SUSPECT SOMETHING UNDER KNOW CIRCUMSTANCE DO NOT REMOVE IT CONTACT AUTHORITIES UNLESS YOU WANT 3 OR 4 BIG GUYS WITH A KNIFE CHASEING YA
    AND THATS FROM EXPERIENCE
  • My cash machine habits...
    • I will use one of my banks ATM's in preference over others, purely because I can see a mini-statement rather than just my balance.
    • I will often use the machine inside the branch (if it is open) as there is generally no-one queuing for it.
    • if all else fails, I will ALWAYS go to the machine with the least number of people near/using it - less time to wait/more secure.
    Not as green as I am cabbage looking
  • Stuart_WStuart_W Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    An increasing number of free machines seem to be turning up unexpectedly inside shops - Wilkinsons, Poundland, Costcutter etc - and I have never had to queue to use one.
  • I never used abbey machines as I never wanted them to charge B+B for my use of them.Now I,m with YBS I wont touch santander machines
    I have a deep burning indifference
  • nzseries1nzseries1 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Golden rule. If you see a cash machine and it has no queue, it's either not working or outta cash. 100% guaranteed (in Central London anyway).
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
  • runaroundpauperrunaroundpauper Forumite
    84 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    had to remove a trapped visa debit card from a atm someone had cellotaped there pin number to it it went in but would not come out some people ay never learn made sure branch staff watching me
  • On most cashpoints you can tell if they are out of cash not by the lack of queue but because it'll say something like "Sorry no cash" at the top of the welcome screen (in small letters but is there).

Re Shielding PIN, I've posted this before but it's a video of people not covering the keypad when entering the PIN and those that do (not always perfectly).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JbDdsUh_sTg#t=67s

First bit of video (which should be skipped) is the installing of the camera by the criminals so should start about the 1 min mark.
    Santander are awful - mission in life is to warn people since 17-Sep-10, 18-Sep-10 realised one of thousands.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides