MSE News: Stop queuing at cash machines – there's no need

2

Replies

  • ukmonkeyukmonkey Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Perhaps they're queuing as they want to get a mini statement, or do other things that you can only do at your own bank's ATM?
  • Hi I went to Ikea last week and was surprised to see a free cash machine in there (situated in the cafe area) which i used because they charge for using cards. ;)
  • Li0nheadLi0nhead Forumite
    16.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Could the longer queues be the not all ATMs do PAYG mobile top ups? (well i know at least up to a bit ago they did not all because out of 2 near me one did top ups, one not so i just use the one that does to top up)
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. It was so good we removed it because we cannot think of one so good as you had and need to protect others from seeing such a great signature.
  • fooboofooboo Forumite
    14 Posts
    Bad plan. Your own bank's cash machines can always back out of a transaction and recredit your account - if your bank has half decent IT it will do this automatically if theres a fault or error with your transaction. If you're using another bank's cash machine they often cant do this and youre stuck with making a claim and waiting for the other bank to check their machine and reply.

    Also applies to cards, if youre using a machine at a branch and a machine keeps your card due to a fault or whatever, the branch staff can return it to you if its their bank. If its not their bank the Visa and Mastercard scheme rules mean they have no choice but to destroy it and return it to your bank.

    Little wait or little walk probably is worth it for the chance of those things at the most inconvenient times!
  • I thought how much you were allowed to take out depended on your bank not the machine?

    Your bank sets a limit per day, usually £250 or £300 (my Egg Money card lets me withdraw £400, not that I would with charges and interest) sometimes cash machines have a limit per transaction of a set amount which can be lower than the maximum allowed on your card. You can usually get round this by doing two transactions.
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

    If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
  • jambosansjambosans Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    fooboo wrote: »
    Bad plan. Your own bank's cash machines can always back out of a transaction and recredit your account - if your bank has half decent IT it will do this automatically if theres a fault or error with your transaction. If you're using another bank's cash machine they often cant do this and youre stuck with making a claim and waiting for the other bank to check their machine and reply.

    This sounds like mince. Most cash machines in the UK are connected through the LINK network, so, if something goes wrong, then the ATM should self correct, and inform the account holders bank of the correction, regardless of the ATM's branding.
    fooboo wrote: »
    Also applies to cards, if youre using a machine at a branch and a machine keeps your card due to a fault or whatever, the branch staff can return it to you if its their bank. If its not their bank the Visa and Mastercard scheme rules mean they have no choice but to destroy it and return it to your bank.

    This depends on the bank, from experience the banks I have dealt with will not "pop open" the ATM to retrieve your card. Historically this may have been true, but ATM's can be centrally managed and maintained (perhaps even through a contractor), so branch may have no access.
    Anything I post is my opinion, so from time to time I may be wrong. I try to provide answers based in fact, however I don't know everything, so (like all posters on MSE), take what I say with a pinch of salt.
  • fooboofooboo Forumite
    14 Posts
    jambosans wrote: »
    This sounds like mince. Most cash machines in the UK are connected through the LINK network, so, if something goes wrong, then the ATM should self correct, and inform the account holders bank of the correction, regardless of the ATM's branding.

    Once the machine has told LINK it is going ahead with the transaction thats it, if the error occurs after this then it becomes a manual process - that must be initiated by the customer. I have these across my desk now and then.... There are never ones for our own customers, and it all tallys up when investigated, so thats the only conclusion I can come to, unless our own customers never use our cash machines....
    jambosans wrote: »
    This depends on the bank, from experience the banks I have dealt with will not "pop open" the ATM to retrieve your card. Historically this may have been true, but ATM's can be centrally managed and maintained (perhaps even through a contractor), so branch may have no access.

    Maybe the pretend banks do this. I know most traditional clearing banks will do this for their own customers as they can identify why the card has been retained, and identify the customer to be able to return it.
  • edited 30 April 2010 at 1:11AM
    jambosansjambosans Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    edited 30 April 2010 at 1:11AM
    fooboo wrote: »
    Once the machine has told LINK it is going ahead with the transaction thats it, if the error occurs after this then it becomes a manual process - that must be initiated by the customer. I have these across my desk now and then.... There are never ones for our own customers, and it all tallys up when investigated, so thats the only conclusion I can come to, unless our own customers never use our cash machines....

    I understand why you've made the assumption but I disagree, cash machines can self correct, and inform (via LINK) the account holder's bank. For example a Barclays LINK ATM talks to Barclays via LINK, there's no other connection to Barclays (unless it's a branch managed ATM), therefore if there's problem it tells Barclays via LINK. A branded ATM may be designed with additional functionality for said bank's customer, but it still uses LINK to talk to it's owner, so correction should be possible regardless of ATM branding.

    Also, you're more likely to come across ATM disputes involving other banks cash machines purely down to numbers (i.e. no bank has an overall majority of ATMs). Therefore there's a greater chance of one of your customers using a different provider's ATM.
    fooboo wrote: »
    Maybe the pretend banks do this. I know most traditional clearing banks will do this for their own customers as they can identify why the card has been retained, and identify the customer to be able to return it.

    It's not an issue of being able to verify why the card has been retained, it's an issue of access (or perhaps policy). Lloyds TSB and Bank of Scotland to name but a few "traditional clearing banks" which will not retrieve retained cards are examples.
    Anything I post is my opinion, so from time to time I may be wrong. I try to provide answers based in fact, however I don't know everything, so (like all posters on MSE), take what I say with a pinch of salt.
  • The other day there was a long queue in the street for the HSBC cash machine. As it was raining I went inside to wait and, Lo & Behold! - TWO cash machines inside, one usefully giving £10 notes. No queue!
    I have checked since and some other banks have this facility inside or in a lobby too. Usually no or only short queues while outside there are lots of people waiting. And you don't normally need to be a customer of that particular bank.
  • glider3560glider3560 Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Bluecaster wrote: »
    The other day there was a long queue in the street for the HSBC cash machine. As it was raining I went inside to wait and, Lo & Behold! - TWO cash machines inside, one usefully giving £10 notes. No queue!
    I have checked since and some other banks have this facility inside or in a lobby too. Usually no or only short queues while outside there are lots of people waiting. And you don't normally need to be a customer of that particular bank.
    Very true, I always forget to look inside the bank. It feels really weird walking into a bank that isn't your own, but it saves queuing outside in the rain!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Gin, gee-gees & groceries

This week's MSE Forum highlights

Team Blog

2for1 adult tickets to theme parks

Via selected £1-£3 Kellogg's promo packs

MSE Deals