We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Negotiating a settlement with cash

Hi all,

Re. trying to come to a cash settlement, and the effect on your credit rating.

I'm with Lloyds. After the landmark case, I sent off a letter in line with MSE's latest guidelines, pleading hardship etc.

The long and short of it is that they have rejected my claim for £3000. My overdraft stands at £3000 and I am now using a different bank as my current account. Lloyds have frozen interest on the overdraft and set up a payment plan of £30 per month, which will take me around 8 years to pay off.

A family member has offered to pay £1500 to Lloyds, if they agree to settle for this sum. I haven't presented this offer to Lloyds yet... I've heard that a settlement of this type will stay on my credit file for 6 years as some kind of 'written off' debt - apologies, I don't know the exact term.

Does anyone have any advice as to how best to approach this? I feel a little bitter about staining my credit file for a further 6 years AND giving them my relative's hard earned cash when I could just as well pay £30 per month for 8 years and refuse my kind benefactors offer.

What do we think, is it actually possible to forego the credit staining part? What would a reasonable settlement figure be given the figures I've stated? Should I send a template letter to Lloyds (my first one wasn't a template) citing paragraphs from the Consumer Credit Act etc. and continue down the ombudsman route? When is the best time to throw this settlement figure on the table?

So far as I can see nobody has had any joy from Lloyds (since the bailout anyway), I'm so glad I switched to Natwest - a much friendlier bank.

Thanks and I'll be back with news as this progresses. I hope this adds another dimension to the discussion.

All the best people!

Comments

  • Well, are you looking to settle it or are you looking at reclaiming?
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

    This username is no longer active.
  • Saff
    Saff Posts: 2 Newbie
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Well, I guess I'm not particularly convinced that the reclaiming route is going to work for me because I'm on cheap a repayment plan organised by the collections dept, with interest frozen (ie the charges are no longer materially affecting my hardship).

    I'm really trying to establish whether a settlement can be carried out, without tarnishing my credit file for 6 years?

    I spoke to a very helpful lady at the collections department yesterday, who advised that her department will be bringing in a process for the settlement of these charges (unsure whether it has to be cash, or if they will settle and still offer payment plans - so that you stop protesting). This process is 2-3 months away according to her, but she advised that the settlement would stay on your credit file for 6 years.

    What do you think Natweststaffmember? Can I offer them some cash, expediency in settling this all is key for me too as I'd like to repair my credit rating asap, so that I can move out of lodgings and into a flat (which requires a credit reference check) in (hopefully) under a year.

    Thanks for replying to my post by the way.
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Generally, if they agree to a settlement which is less than you owe, it will need to go on your credit file as it is a matter of fact. You may also wish to consider that the existing payment arrangement will more than likely affect your credit worthyness as well.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.