fixed term isa

Options
took out a 5year fixed term isa with legal &general,put in £14,000 in 2002,up to this year have got £142 interest.to me this does not seem a great amount.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What was the fixed rate you got with it?

Or was it one of those awful GEB products which we continue to tell people on here to avoid (well, everyone except Martin that is).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • beattiesman
    Options
    dunstonh wrote:
    What was the fixed rate you got with it?

Or was it one of those awful GEB products which we continue to tell people on here to avoid (well, everyone except Martin that is).
    where quoted roughly 3-4% interest, on looking through original paperwork it is called a protected portfolio 111 isa,but on statements recieving now its called a fixed term isa
  • johnmoney05
    johnmoney05 Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    it looks a very bad deal...worse rate than in a current account?

£3,000 in a mini Cash ISA around 5% in a year can get at least £150...
  • richgirl
    richgirl Posts: 233 Forumite
    Options
    took out a 5year fixed term isa with legal &general,put in £14,000 in 2002,up to this year have got £142 interest.to me this does not seem a great amount.

So £142 in 4 years ?

Very poor, a 5% fix would have got you over £3000 compound @ about £700 per year.

P.S. How did u put £14k in it, ? Probably £7k split 7k in an isa wrapper and £7k without.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This isnt an interest bearing account. It is a stockmarket linked investment invested into just one sector which happens to have been one of the worst areas to be invested in over the last 5-6 years.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure