Which way to pay ??

Options
Am visiting the US shortly and on previous visits whilst paying in certain stores, ( using a Nationwide Flexaccount card ), I'm sometimes given the option by the card machine "Which currency would you like to pay in $ or £ ?". I've always been a little uncertain as to which to choose, can anyone offer any help please ??

miffymidd.:T

Comments

• mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    miffymidd wrote: »
    Am visiting the US shortly and on previous visits whilst paying in certain stores, ( using a Nationwide Flexaccount card ), I'm sometimes given the option by the card machine "Which currency would you like to pay in $ or £ ?". I've always been a little uncertain as to which to choose, can anyone offer any help please ??

miffymidd.:T

I always pay in the local currency, then you get the card exchange rate. If you pay in £ you get the shop exchange rate, which may not be as good.
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 April 2010 at 11:56AM
    Options
    Always request to be charged in the local currency (in this case US Dollars). Nationwide will then use the exchange rate as set by Visa. If you choose Sterling then the vendor will set the exchange rate and you will lose out as they will set it to make themselves some money.

ETA - cross posted with mikey72.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wherever you are, whenever you are abroad - use the local currency.

Financial papers have had lots of stories about people being ripped off by the trader.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    And make sure you tell any retailer that you want to pay in the local currency if it doesn't give you the option on a keypad and check anything you are asked to sign to make sure you aren't signing to have it converted.

It may not happen in the US, but twice in Spain I have checked the amount on the keypad to make sure it was in euros, but the retailer changed it to sterling after that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure