Anyone here with 3 or more children?

OK...I live in Wales and I found out about Welsh Water Assist.

Basically, if you have 3 or more children and are in receipt of Child Tax Credit or Working Tax Credit (other benefits too listed below) then you pay reduced water rates.

Mine have dropped from £435 to £228 :)

http://www.dwrcymru.com/English/library/publications/welshwaterassist/english.pdf

Thames Water do WaterSure which is very very similar so, if you arent in Wales or with Thames Water then maybe your Water company does something similar? Worth checking out IMO

HTHS

here is a list of qualifying benefits (for Welsh Water and Thames Water

Child Tax Credit (other than just the family element)
Working Tax Credit
Pension Credit
Income Support
Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
Council Tax benefit
Housing benefit

Comments

• Toomuchdebt
    Toomuchdebt Posts: 2,128 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Severn Trent do the same thing-mine has gone from £612 to £301, and if I use less on the meter I will pay less.The £301 is the maximum they will charge me.
    Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 :eek:

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • Madmonk
    Madmonk Posts: 507 Forumite
    I agree it seems like a wonderful scheme but please remember if you are put on a meter and you have it for over a year your stuck with it. THat means that once your eldest child goes over 18 you lose the help and will have to pay for what you use!! My water bill shot up from £28 per month to £78 per month :eek::eek::eek:when my eldest went to Uni!!! I've managed to get it down to £58 per month (but thats with being really mean with water!) Please anyone going on this scheme work your sums out before agreeing to it! Especially if your eldest child is 16 or 17 will it be worth it!!

MM:(
  • Madmonk wrote: »
    I agree it seems like a wonderful scheme but please remember if you are put on a meter and you have it for over a year your stuck with it. THat means that once your eldest child goes over 18 you lose the help and will have to pay for what you use!! My water bill shot up from £28 per month to £78 per month :eek::eek::eek:when my eldest went to Uni!!! I've managed to get it down to £58 per month (but thats with being really mean with water!) Please anyone going on this scheme work your sums out before agreeing to it! Especially if your eldest child is 16 or 17 will it be worth it!!

The Thames scheme is metered but my, Welsh Water scheme, isnt metered so still best to check your own provider :)
  • Toomuchdebt
    Toomuchdebt Posts: 2,128 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Madmonk wrote: »

So far even with a meter it's going to be cheaper than staying on the rates for me.In 3 weeks since the meter has been in we've used 9 units(or cubic metres or whatever they are) which according to Severn Trent are charged at £1.36 each....way way cheaper than the rates of £51 a month).And with 5(soon to be 6) children it'll be a while before we lose the entitlement.
    Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 :eek:

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • Madmonk
    Madmonk Posts: 507 Forumite
    Sounds perfect for you unfortunately I live on the southwest coast and we are charged for keeping the coastal waters clean so are bills are considerabley higher! It was just a warning too be careful:eek:

MM
  • Psykicpup
    Psykicpup Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm sorry but i dont understand why 'paying for what you use' is such an issue! surely that is the right way to pay? Just like your Gas or Electricity.......or food..........
    I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I Know

Supermarket Rebel No 19:T
  • BekahC
    BekahC Posts: 194 Forumite
    Psykicpup I actually work for a water company and daily recommend the Watersure scheme to customers....if someone is offering you a way to reduce a bill from say 800 a year to 300 would you take it!? and yes i have seen a drop that dramatic lol.

Also the thing to remember is with Gas, Electric and Food you get a choice as to where you can shop or who is providing your G/E...with water you can not change who supplies it - why not take advantage of it?
    2011 wins : Sebo k1 vacuum
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport