The cutting out/cutting down alcohol thread (part 7)

Options

Comments

• budget_babe
    budget_babe Posts: 1,633 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Just wanted to pop back to see how we all are?

Especially Sim and Jo.

Sim I think you sound a little better in yourself, and you seem to be focusing on what needs to be done. That is progress, however be mindful that whilst you are sober, you can plan and rationalise things. Please try not to drink as if you do, all of your good work will become undone. I really hope you can turn things around for yourself. Just concentrate on you for now, you do not have the energy to worry about your ex gf or anyone else.

Sometimes in life we need to be selfish and think of ourselves, its called self preservation and keeping ourselves together. Hugs matey and please do keep posting on here. Take care and stay safe. (()) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jo hope the car is getting back on the road again and at not too much expense. Sorry I don't know much about coils? I have only recently fathomed out how to put petrol in ;). Hugs matey and take care. (()) xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Budgie was going to purchase a bottle of red wine earlier, however reading Sim's post has made me think otherwise. So instead I have decided to take control of this dreadful weight issue. Poor Budgie has gained almost 2 stone :eek: Yes I know its dreadful :eek: It is since I stopped my gym membership, I was doing so well too.

However I have made a purchase ;) Now we all know how sensible Budgie is, and I really don't buy much for myself at all. (You can tell there is an underlying issue here ;))...............................

I have just purchased an electronic treadmill, (I hasten to add that this was Mr Budgie's idea) we have a cabin in the garden which was for my Ds computers, Mr Budgie has urged me to use it as a home gym. So my total spend is ...............................................

£470 :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: I know, I know, but it was less than half price :p Budgie never spends so much, but in the interests of not becoming more barrell like shaped, I have had no option.

So it will be here on Friday :)

Please all of you make sure I use it, I of course will as it is such a huge expense. (It is all part of the Budgie not worrying and being happy pledge, to myself).

Well something like that. I really can't meet up with everyone looking so round, (I mean really round). Oh and that price does include a 4 year guarantee.

Hugs everyone and please take care#
    Budgie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Cherish the ones you love and travel back on the road that brings you home :)
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" Ralph Waldo Emerson :A
  • yellowmonkey
    yellowmonkey Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    smiley-sport015.gif Go Budgie :T :D
  • budget_babe
    budget_babe Posts: 1,633 Forumite
    Options
    smiley-sport015.gif Go Budgie :T :D

Thanks YM :A

Still reeling over the cost though, still sometimes in life there is no option. Hey ho, it will be worth it if I can shift this weight.

Hugs matey (()) xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Cherish the ones you love and travel back on the road that brings you home :)
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" Ralph Waldo Emerson :A
  • gien
    gien Posts: 1,649 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sim, my heart goes out to you - you sound at rock bottom. I'm only just back posting here myself after a short 'f-it' break.

Your GP talks sense - alcohol and antidepressants are not a good mix in general, and as alcohol acts as a depressant cutting down or stopping altogether can only help your mental health.

I know the ebay thing and your girlfriend and the lack of money are good distractions but I think you must know that the priority and the only thing that really counts right now is getting the drinking under control.

Take it one minute, one hour, one day at a time.
    If you can't get to a meeting in RL try and find something online (there's a lot of virtual meetings at all hours of the day).
    When you get to an AA meeting try and get yourself a sponsor, someone to really be there to lean on.

Good luck, keep focused.

Budgie. £470 is a small price to pay to help your health (and as a lovely side effect you will loose weight).

Take care folks
    Trying to keep in budget.

• jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Car is still with the man that looks suspiciously like a mechanic. He seemed very good, explained all the bits and what they did. He did ask if it was losing water and I explained that I bought the car because it was silver and not for the spec, then I think he realised whom he was dealing with. He's Buying and fitting coil on monday (sounds gruesome) and said he will also chuck in new plugs but will only charge the price of the coil, no charge for labour as I had promised to get him to service the car when I get paid and then asked him to do a health check on it every few months!

Result!

I think I trust him cos he been working there for 20 years and he's my neighbour plus turns out he knows my mate!
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • SimIsOnTheUp
    SimIsOnTheUp Posts: 1,370 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Budgie and Gien.

I was going to order a Domino's Pizza..but I decided against it, as they're overpriced, and I can't afford it.

Am quite enjoying a Big Soup!

Jo - great news re your car :-)
  • 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    Sim,

I'm no expert, far from it but this is what I think.

You need someone on your side-Is your Dad around? Brothers, sisters, aunties, uncles? Your friend sounds like the very worst person to be around birgds of a feather stick together, misery loves company etc etc. At least you can see he is no good for you.

Is there any way you can physically move away from your area for a couple of days? Stay with a relative? Just to get some space and thinking time.

As far as the doc's is concerned is there anyone who can go with you. If not make a list of all the things you want to say....or even write a letter that you can just hand over. Ask about or research yourself local drug and alcohol services. Also google Mind mental health charity and see if they have a local branch. They have befriending services which may be useful.

Relate offer counselling for singles. If you are on ESA you can probaly get it for about £5 an hour. I think counselling would be great for you, not only for the depression but to help with feelings left over about the ex and the death of your nan/mum.

I think it's a really brave thing to admit you are lonely. I always thought it was a sign of weakness to admit to it, but there are thousands of lonely people out there, even those with a partner, family and career.

I haven't drunk for nearly 6 months and am slowly slowly changing into the person who I always was, but was kind of afraid to be if that makes sense.

The buzz word is 'being authentic' That is being exactly who you want to be. I guess you don't want to be the person you are right now. The first step is knowing that you aren't happy as you are and you are there now, so you are on the way up! You just need lots of hand holding, and there ARE people out there who can help you.

Good luck.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Marru
    Marru Posts: 4,126 Forumite
    Options
    Budgie: Enjoy your treadmill!! Good on you! :j

Jo: What a relief re the car! You are clever :T

Sim: even if your GP won't give you ADs there are other treatment methods like cognitive behaviour therapy and counselling.

AF here so 24 for me please WBF.
    "Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end."

• Bismarck
    Bismarck Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    Options
    Dominos are an indulgence I'm afraid. Save any money you can to send the parcel off, Sim...I wish ther were ways to make this easier for you.

Hang on in there....choose your friends wisely....I got rid of a load that didn't really get what I needed to do. Put yourself first - you deserve that.

take care

Bis
    For what I've done...I start again...And whatever pain may come ...Today this ends... I'm forgiving what I've done -AF since June 2007
  • shaggydoo
    shaggydoo Posts: 8,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning all :hello:

24 for me please WBF

wknd64.gif

Sim- I hope you find the help you deserve big_hug.gif

Jo - Hope you're soon DRIVE.gif

Shaggy
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure