PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Proceeding With Sale - Important Parts of the HIP?

Options
Having just got probate for my mum’s estate, I want to proceed with the sale of her flat in Torbay.

Recently, on looking through the paperwork that someone else had prepared, I spotted that the searches were missing from the HIP. It had been marketed for months with that HIP. I subsequently managed to get the HIP compiler to sort out that problem. I should probably mention that the EA and the HIP Compiler are not the most helpful people on this planet.

With the sale imminent, last night I looked through everything and spotted that there were other mistakes within the HIP. I'm not sure that these mistakes are important, but I don't want to submit it for the sale if it's going to cause problems. Perhaps someone ‘in the know’ could give me a bit of advice about this?

The flat is freehold, and whoever got the HIP prepared originally obviously had the idea of making the flat leasehold thus, at various places within the HIP and PIQ, it mentions ‘will be leasehold’. Also, things like ‘XYZ solicitors will be dealing with the leasehold paperwork’.

My question is (finally… :)) when handed over to the buyer's solicitor, do mistakes like this actually matter?

Unfortunately the HIP is in pdf form, so I can't edit it myself.

Comments

• Richard_Webster
    Options
    The flat is freehold, and whoever got the HIP prepared originally obviously had the idea of making the flat leasehold thus, at various places within the HIP and PIQ, it mentions ‘will be leasehold’

Why do you think it is a freehold flat? This gets very technical, but if it is a "pure" freehold flat , i.e. where each flat in a block has a separate freehold title, then it will be unmortgageable and very difficult to sell.

Are you thinking of "shared freehold"? Not the same - you still have a lease and that is what you sell.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • not_loaded
    not_loaded Posts: 1,187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 April 2010 at 7:30PM
    Options
    Thanks Richard. Yes, I know only too well it can be complicated, but it is a ground floor freehold flat with covenant paperwork to deal with rights of access and repair cost splitting etc. It’s a converted house, so there’s one upstairs flat, also freehold.

However, it is ‘sold’ to a cash buyer (well as much as anything is sold when you have an offer) and I just need to proceed now if we can.

The question is just concerning the HIP, when handed over to the buyer's solicitor, do mistakes as mentioned in my post #1 above actually matter?
  • timmyt
    timmyt Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Options
    can you let us see the link or the HIP, as freehold flats are rare. maybe leasehold but owning the freehold of the other flat and vice versa. HIps not done by solicitor firms are all suspect. If you do not use a lawyer you store up problems as it is a LEGAL pack. WE see mistakes all the time, and it slows everything down.

Pay £300 all in and no less or more and you should be fine.
    My posts are just my opinions and are not offered as legal advice - though I consider them darn fine opinions none the less.:cool2:

My bad spelling...well I rush type these opinions on my own time, so sorry, but they are free.:o
  • Richard_Webster
    Options
    The question is just concerning the HIP, when handed over to the buyer's solicitor, do mistakes as mentioned in my post #1 above actually matter?

Not really. The solicitor simply has a little moan about crummy HIP companies and gets on with the job. After all we managed OK before HIPs came out.

The issue of substance is that they needed to do the searches - local/water - on the right property!
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • not_loaded
    not_loaded Posts: 1,187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks timmyt and Richard. Yes, it is freehold. The LR entry in the HIP shows:

This register describes the land and estate comprised in the title.
    TORBAY
    1 (29.08.19nn) The Freehold land shown edged with red on the plan of the
    above Title filed at the Registry and being (address removed & postcode removed).
    NOTE: As to the part tinted blue on the title plan only the ground floor
    flat is included in the title.
    2 The land has the benefit of the rights granted by but is subject to the
    rights reserved by the Conveyance dated 30 April 19nn referred to in the
    Charges Register.
    3 The Conveyance dated 30 April 19nn referred to above contains a provision
    as to boundary structures.

Suffice to say that the decision on freehold versus leasehold (taken many years ago) was not particularly brilliant, but it was done by elderly folks thinking that ‘freehold is best’, which it is of course for houses; not really so for flats. WE know that, THEY did not, and either weren’t advised properly at the time, or chose to ignore the advice. :o

As long as presenting the HIP with a few incorrect comments won’t cause too much of a problem, that’s fine. Luckily it appears that the important parts of the HIP are okay, and now all present and correct.

Unfortunately in dealing with my mum’s probate and the various companies she had dealings with, one begins to discover the true meaning of crummy! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure