PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Property inspections on rented property - a question

Options
I have just sat in for 2 hours, having left work an hour early, because my letting agents notified me that they wanted to carry out an inspection between 4.30 and 6.00pm (incidentally they only informed me on Monday, so pretty short notice!). They've failed to turn up, no phone call, nothing.

There is no requirement for me to be present when they do these inspections, but it is my personal preference that I don't want someone wandering around my home when I'm not in. Our letting agents have proven time and time again that they're pretty incompetent, so I'd rather not risk it.

My question therefore, is can I now state to the letting agents that I do not permit them to access the property in my absence, and dictate a time that suits ME? I'm not talking Sunday evening at 9.00pm or anything, but maybe between 5.30 and 6.00 so that I don't have to leave the office early?

I won't be able to contact them until the morning, so a bit of reassurance that it would be reasonable of me to do this would be much appreciated!

Comments

• lizzielondon
    Options
    yes

you have the right to quiet enjoyment of your home, you do not have to allow access to the LL/LA unless it is an emergency- this trumps anything inserted into the tenancy agreement

if you completely block access you're likely to be served notice- but what you're asking for is completely reasonable
  • elvis86
    elvis86 Posts: 1,399 Forumite
    Options
    I thought so, just nice to have reassurance, thank you!
  • snapping_crocodile
    Options
    You are entitled to quiet enjoyment, and entry should be on your terms. I would be tempted to change the locks, so they cant try and enter when you are not there, and then change the locks back before you move out ;)
  • elvis86
    Options
    You are entitled to quiet enjoyment, and entry should be on your terms. I would be tempted to change the locks, so they cant try and enter when you are not there, and then change the locks back before you move out ;)

I've thought about that, but I think its in our tenancy agreement that we can't?

Anyone have any idea how much it might cost? Its an apartment within a secure(ish - another story!) development, the front door only has (rather worryingly, IMO) a single lock. I'm not very good at explaining, but basically a lock where you just turn the catch 90 degrees to lock it from the inside?
  • lizzielondon
    Options
    it's been argued on here you can change the locks and change them back regardless of what it says in the agreement- although i don't know if this true

the only way they would find out is if they illegally tried to enter your home

i'm sure i've read that you are not allowed to do this in scotland *i think*
  • elvis86
    Options
    A
    it's been argued on here you can change the locks and change them back regardless of what it says in the agreement- although i don't know if this true

the only way they would find out is if they illegally tried to enter your home

i'm sure i've read that you are not allowed to do this in scotland *i think*

I'm really paranoid about them entering when we're out, because (in breach of our tenancy agreement) we have a cat. So its important that I know when they're coming so I can arrange for her to be shipped to a friend's for the day.

Any landlords that want to have a pop at me for that, go ahead, I consider myself a model tenant, cat aside, our apartments is spotless, rent paid on time without fail etc and she does no damage.;)

Also, we do have some relatively valuable stuff between us, and I'm not sure where you'd stand if this went missing and the only explanation was that the letting agents' key had been used?

Aside from that though, I just don't like the idea of a stranger in my home when I'm not there, y'know?:(
  • lizzielondon
    Options
    i don't think any landlords are going to have a pop at you- you are not denying access just making sure it is at a time which suits you- which is fine!

why are parnoid they will come in without permission? have they told you they will?
  • Ladybird20
    Ladybird20 Posts: 465 Forumite
    Options
    My tenants always allow me to take new tenants around when they are not in, which i prefer.However i wouldnt dream of opening drawers ect as i do respect peoples privacy ,,Its never been a problem as yet for me or my tenants...
  • Ditch_Crawler
    Options
    why are parnoid they will come in without permission? have they told you they will?

No, they just failed to turn up at the time they said they would, which is just as annoying...

DC
  • lizzielondon
    Options
    i assume that's by prior appointment? i think we're talking here about people turning up uninvited

it's up to each individual- your tenants obviously trust you so are fine for you to go into their home when they are not there-

but it's completely fine for someone to be uncomfortable with people wandering around their home & it's completely fine to specify visits can only happen when the tenant is present
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure