The Great 'Get Paid To Generate Energy' Hunt

Options

Comments

• munchkin88
    munchkin88 Posts: 33 Forumite
    edited 21 September 2010 at 9:37PM
    Options
    Hi there

Tesco are really busy with the quotes at the moment and there are only a few people producing them. There are different panels used for different system sizes, but all panels are Sharp. Sharp 175w panels are used for all systems apart from the 3.96kw, Sharp 220w are used for the 3.96kw. There is a big demand for tesco solar quotes at the moment, so its very very busy! Im doing my best to get them out and posted :D
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    munchkin88 wrote: »
    Hi there

Tesco are really busy with the quotes at the moment and there are only a few people producing them. There are different panels used for different system sizes, but all panels are Sharp. Sharp 175w panels are used for all systems apart from the 3.96kw, Sharp 220w are used for the 3.96kw. There is a big demand for tesco solar quotes at the moment, so its very very busy! Im doing my best to get them out and posted :D

Got to say, Tesco have pretty much ruled themselves out for me by the length of time I've been waiting for a quote!

If it takes this long to get a quote, how long is it going to take to get any future problems resolved?

Not giving a good impression from the outset = lack of faith in future customer service.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 23 September 2010 at 2:23PM
    Options
    Spam wrote: »
    Hello,
    So apart from the odd solar company trying to make a quick buck by overcharging, why can't professional solar companys in the UK be looking at a long and profitable future?

You are not allowed to include links or advertise on MSE.

'professional solar companies' as opposed to 'amateur solar companies'?

As his post will no doubt be removed this is what he put:
    Drop me a PM with any questions relating to PV Panels you have, or if you'd like a quote!

Quick Quote? Questions? - www . spam . com - Pop spam@MSE in the message!
  • jackieblack
    Options
    Got to say, Tesco have pretty much ruled themselves out for me by the length of time I've been waiting for a quote!

If it takes this long to get a quote, how long is it going to take to get any future problems resolved?

Not giving a good impression from the outset = lack of faith in future customer service.

Update

Got home today to find Tesco's quote has finally arrived (3 weeks after the surveyor's visit) - and it's wrong! Not what I asked for/was told by the surveyor would fit on my roof!
    :mad:
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
  • Tom-Green
    Options
    Ok, After your very witty little bit of banter there, i have changed my signature. You completley ignored on your reply however that what you had write before was a load of rubbish, and how can someone who has not obviously observed the effectiveness of the tariff schemes in different countries possibly know anything about how long solar installation companys will be around for and/or what makes a professional company.

Anyway Why is everyone so interested in the 'Sharp' panels? What makes them different from any other MCS approved ones?
  • mysterons
    Options
    Tesco only supply a fixed range of systems ie 1.0kWp, 1.4kWp, 2.1kWp, 3.2kWp and 3.96kWp.
    If what you require isn't on that list you're SOL with Tesco.
  • Dave_Fowler
    Options
    mysterons wrote: »
    Tesco only supply a fixed range of systems ie 1.0kWp, 1.4kWp, 2.1kWp, 3.2kWp and 3.96kWp.

I guess economy of scale - using a fixed set of panels / inverters - keeps the price competitive.

My (non-Tesco) set-up has been running for almost 3 months now. I'll drop in a post with the three monthly figures when it's time.
    Solar PV System 1: 2.96kWp South+8 degrees. Roof 38 degrees. 'Normal' system
    Solar PV System 2: 3.00kWp South-4 degrees. Roof 28 degrees. SolarEdge system
    EV car, PodPoint charger
    Lux LXP 3600 ACS + 6 x 2.4kWh Aoboet LFP 2400 battery storage. Installed Feb 2021
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tom-Green wrote: »
    ........ Anyway Why is everyone so interested in the 'Sharp' panels? What makes them different from any other MCS approved ones? ....

Hi Tom-Green

You'll probably find that it's because they're mainly made in the UK(Wrexham) and that some people still do try to support UK industry when possible ... that and they're a known brand to many, and have been chosen as standard units by some of the larger installers.

There is a general perception that many of the cheap imported brands could be from companies who do not have an interest in protecting their brand image and could possibly fold within the claimed warranty period, which would obviously cause problems. If unknown/lesser known manufacturers can supply panels either with a substantial technical/performance advantage and/or at a considerably lower price people will probably take a chance .... better that the consumer is protected than MCE margins are inflated by usung cheap imports ... or are you thinking about other 'big name' European/US/Japanese manufacturers ??

Regards
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 23 September 2010 at 7:41PM
    Options
    Tom-Green wrote: »
    Ok, After your very witty little bit of banter there, i have changed my signature. You completley ignored on your reply however that what you had write before was a load of rubbish, and how can someone who has not obviously observed the effectiveness of the tariff schemes in different countries possibly know anything about how long solar installation companys will be around for and/or what makes a professional company.
    As a tradesman you are still not supposed to tout for PMs.
    Actually I have lived in Germany for many years, still visit and have many friends in the country; so your statement stating lack of knowledge is quite incorrect.

Germany some years ago had a severe attack of ‘Green Conscious’ and the Green Party became a very powerful political force. Hence they used their influence(Germany tend to have coalition Governments) to give solar installations massive subsidies.

These subsidies were so large that Germany(hardly the sunniest country in Europe let alone the Globe) at one point had over half the solar installations in the World.(they still might?) If you do keep abreast of these things, which I doubt, you might be aware that Germany and other countries have cut their subsidies.
    German solar industry protests against subsidy cut
    Price paid for solar power will fall be as much as 44 per cent, says lobby group

Stocks in solar technology companies fell in German trading following news that Chancellor Angela Merkel's Christian Democrats may press for bigger cuts to solar subsidies than sought by the environment ministry.
    According to BSW figures, Germany's solar sector had a turnover of around 10 billion euros ($14.1 billion) in 2009, and employs some 60,000 people. Germany's generous incentives have kept the country at the forefront of the solar industry; now, some experts worry that this will no longer be the case. They predict an emigration of leading solar technology companies, more bankruptcies and weakened investor confidence.

"The cuts which have now been proposed are shaking the very foundations of Germany's solar industry," said the Federal Association of Renewable Energies (BEE) President Dietmar Schuetz.

So yes you are absolutely correct that huge subsidies will encourage the take up of solar installations, one of the reasons for the present frenzy in UK that MCS installers are cashing in on. –So what on earth does that prove? Big subsidies attract customers – wow I never realized!

So what have I said that is rubbish? That many MCS approved installers will be in for a quick buck and then go and find something else to sell - which they can also tout on MSE as 'MSE Tom'
  • jackieblack
    Options
    mysterons wrote: »

A 2.1kw system (12x 175w Sharp panels) is what I was quoted by British Gas, (Tesco use the same panels)
    2.22kw was what I was quoted by E-on (12x Mitsubishi 185kw panels)

I asked Tesco for a quote for 2.1kw system (12 panels) (based on the same survey done by Mark Group for the E-on quote), but they quoted me for a 1.75kw system (10x Sharp 175w panels)!

I've now signed the contract with E-on - they may not be the cheapest but they've been the most helpful, the system they've quoted me for will output 5-6% more than the others and they can do the install when I need it done (October half-term week, a little over 4 weeks time).

Paid the deposit this afternoon, and am really excited that I'm finally going to get my panels! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business