PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Firt time leaving home and on incapacity benefits! need help and advice

Options
13»

Comments

• makeup
    makeup Posts: 1,633 Forumite
    Options
    LHA is claimed from your local council. There is normally plenty of info on their website. There is a form to fill in but different councils have different requirements, for examples some councils you make an appointment to go and see someone to fill it in with or you might have to make a phone application.

You can also claim council tax benefit at the same time - if you get full LHA you would normally be entitled to full Council tax benefit.

To go on a housing list you normally need to prove local connection (ie be living or working in that area or have a close family member in that area) - without local connection you often get a lower banding / points (depending on scheme in operation in that area). Bedsits and one beds are the least in demand properties (I'm assuming same in Sunderland / Durham area) but I think most councils have a high demand for properties these days and you could be in for a wait. That isn't to say you shouldn't go on the list, just be prepared to wait and to have realistic expectations about what you are going to be able to get.
    Good luck!
    I've got my own flat :j:j

Now I have to pay the bills :eek:

And feed my interiors addiction ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 4 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts