PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Firt time leaving home and on incapacity benefits! need help and advice

Options
Hi everyone ok this is what is happening. I am on incapacity benefit and live with parents. Im 27 by the way. I need to move out now cos things are not that good at home and family need there own space and i need own space too. I have never lived anywhere apart from home and dont know where too start. I have looked at few places in sunderland area with rent approx £320 - £360 a month. Whilst im on incapacity benefit with my illness can i get rent payed for by jobcentre ?? What can i get help with ? I just dont know where too start or who too contact so sorry if i sound stupid here. thanks in advance for help.

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I suggest you try the Benefits forum.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome to MSE! As GM says the benefits forum would be your best bet. Also check your local council website to see what the maximum LHA payable in your area is and https://www.entitledto.co.uk for any other means-tested benefits. I would advise against getting your own flat on benefits, trust me it is very difficult to make ends meet without anyone to share the costs of council tax and winter fuel bills with. You also need to consider how you are going to pay your deposit, referencing fees and first months rent - as you are on benefits you may need a guarantor.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • darren2010_2
    Options
    I have to get my own place lol this aint an option. And i live in durham area not sunderland but want to move from this area cos dislike it. Is there rule on council housing where as if i went from this area down south etc that i wouldnt be able too apply for council housing in a random area or can u apply anywhere ?
  • myothercarisaferrari
    Options
    Darren where in Sunderland are you looking? Ive recently just moved up here (well Jan) and get LHA for a two bed flat (I think its roughly £27 a week but I work full time)

You can rent bedsits for around £250pcm
  • Fire_Fox
    edited 18 April 2010 at 6:06PM
    Options
    darren2010 wrote: »
    I have to get my own place lol this aint an option. And i live in durham area not sunderland but want to move from this area cos dislike it. Is there rule on council housing where as if i went from this area down south etc that i wouldnt be able too apply for council housing in a random area or can u apply anywhere ?

You do NOT have to get your own flat - you can move into a shared flat or shared house, bedsit or studio, room as a lodger in someone's home. Please listen to me, I am on JSA myself and have my own flat: it is NOT possible to live on basic benefits year round, electric heating will be in the region of £100 a month over the colder months. :eek:

You will not get a council house without being on the list for a considerable period of time, and you will not be able to go on the list unless you are already living in an area or can prove ties, more likely as a homeless single person you would be put up in a hostel (possibly with drug users and alcoholics :(). The only realistic way is for you to find a private rented property and the council either pays all of your rent or makes a contribution, you need to check the LHA rates to find out what the maximum is.

LHA is paid in arrears, you can move anywhere you like AFAIK but you will need to pay the damage deposit, first months rent and referencing up front. This is another reason to get a room living with others as there will be a much smaller initial outlay.
  • darren2010_2
    Options
    Ok hi firefox thanks fro this help. And no dont fancy living with drug takers etc lol im a clean living guy. I would share with someone i see a lot of places like student accomadation , room shares ect but dnt know if they specifically want students. Could u look on findaproperty.com and maybe give a options off there that are roomshares which u think would be affordable. thanks for the help

Durham is location
  • hazybubbles
    hazybubbles Posts: 148 Forumite
    Options
    I used to live in durham. There are LOADS of student rooms for rent but be aware that if there is a house exclusively of students then they are unlikely to want you to live there as they would then have to pay council tax on the property.

I rented through http://www.billfreehomes.com/. Although it says student rooms there were people i shared with that were not students. He was good about finding tenants suitable rooms. The last room I rented through them was £300 a month all bills included.

Before you go looking however, I would confirm what you would be getting in terms of housing benefits and try to save for a deposit.
  • Fire_Fox
    Options
    Student houses tend to be suited to other students, as the students will all be exempt from council tax. That means the one working/ benefits person would be liable for the entire house's council tax minus the 25% single person discount!! For a decent sized student house you can be taking a couple of hundred quid or more. This site is often recommended for rooms, or the council may have a list of approved landlords for tenants on benefits:
    http://www.spareroom.co.uk/

ETA: cross post with HazyBubbles. Just to clarify full time students are definitely NOT liable for council tax (except where they are the homeowner), the rules changed a few years ago so it really would be down to you and any other working person to pay the CT.
  • darren2010_2
    Options
    Thanks firefox. How much is council tax ? Is that payed monthly too or yearly. I looked at LHA rates and it is £80 for durham area per week and £90 per week for sunderland area
  • Fire_Fox
    Options
    darren2010 wrote: »
    Thanks firefox. How much is council tax ? Is that payed monthly too or yearly. I looked at LHA rates and it is £80 for durham area per week and £90 per week for sunderland area

Council tax varies widely around the country and varies widely with the size of the property, again you will find this information out on the local council's website. It is due annually but most councils will allow you to spread the cost over ten months (not paying in Feb and March). If you are late with a payment you often lose the right to pay by installments and the full amount becomes due. :eek: If you miss a payment expect to receive one reminder and then a court summons, this is one bill to take very seriously indeed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport