We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Vaseline and Slugs?

Options
I lurk so much on this section of the site and have learnt so much from you all (first time apotment veg/salad/fruit gardener) Thank you.

For years I have had the battle with slugs on my flowers etc that are in containers ( no grass in the garden, it was laid to concrete when I moved in)

It would cost a small fortune to get enough copper to surround the pots I have and have read that vaseline smeared around the pots would stop slugs in their tracks.

Has anyone tried this?
Does it work?

Thanks in anticipation

Comments

• balloo_2
    balloo_2 Posts: 876 Forumite
    Options
    Suppose it would be like driving a car over a muddy field plenty of wheelspin but no traction. :p
    The solving of a problem lies in finding the solvers.
  • chrisaj
    chrisaj Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    Have you tried a couple of drops of eucalyptus on used t bags and scattering them about the place, that works for me :D
    I get paid to smell great :j
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've tried it and it didn't work, its also very messy!

As muc has I hate it the only way is to kill them, I took the friendly view last year and tried lots of barrier methods but half of my young seedling were still eaten after weeks of careful care inside, I was gutted and so now its war, I have slug pellets (the ones that are only harmful to slugs) and I will be using them with gusto!
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Emuchops
    Emuchops Posts: 799 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I make a circle of 1p and 2p pieces around the stems of the plants that the slugs particularly go for-seems to work well in my slug infested garden.
  • Moobags_2
    Moobags_2 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Emuchops wrote: »
    I make a circle of 1p and 2p pieces around the stems of the plants that the slugs particularly go for-seems to work well in my slug infested garden.

What a great idea , I'm going to try this round my hosta pots :)
    LBM March 2010 :eek: . . . . DFD a very very long way off
    May £5 a day £67 / £155
    May NSD's 5 / 10
  • OwtForNowt
    OwtForNowt Posts: 1,685 Forumite
    Options
    Dig a small hole near your plants, put some beer in a container and put it in the hole. Try and cover the pot but still allow access. Seems to work at our house. :)
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • FROSTYFRECKLE
    Options
    I use Vaseline every year and it works for me. If I've run out of Vaseline I've been known to use Vicks:D
  • gardenroute
    Options
    I bet deep heat would slow them down as well. :)
    You can also try biological control as well. Packs of tiny worms can be put into a watering can and poured over susceptible plants where they will lie in wait for the slugs. Two applications a year should be enough.
  • Mortal
    Mortal Posts: 261 Forumite
    Options
    I use Vaseline every year and it works for me. If I've run out of Vaseline I've been known to use Vicks:D
    chrisaj wrote: »
    Have you tried a couple of drops of eucalyptus on used t bags and scattering them about the place, that works for me :D

That's interesting. Do you have better results when using the Vicks?

I do like the idea of the coins, but what is to stop the wee beasties going under them? Or does it only work on hard surfaces?
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for the vasaline tip will work out cheaper than other methods i have tried in past
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure