We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Auto Europe car hire in USA

Options
Hi

Has anyone used http://www.auto-europe.co.uk?

They seem to have excellent rates for Orlando car hire (Dodge Charger for 17 days is £381 with 8.5% Quidco on top!). This includes

* Appropriate local sales taxes at the appropriate rate(s) in force.
* UMP (Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist Protection).
* Unlimited mileage. * SLI (Supplemental Liability Insurance). * LDW (Loss Damage Waiver).

It doesn't include

* Insurance coverage for personal injuries to driver or passengers. Optional coverage may be offered locally for an additional fee.
* If not included in your rate, the rental company offers all of its vehicles to renters full of gas/petrol, and renters are charged at the commencment of the rental an amount equal to the self-service pump price. Renters are instructed to return the vehicle as empty as possible. No refund is provided for unused fuel.
* Local toll, highway fees, or travel stickers required by local authorities.

... of which only the PI bit worries me. Do I need this or am I likely to be covered under my travel insurance? Anyone know the likely price for the PI locally? Or am I better off getting something from Insurance4carhire.com or similar?

Is this too good to be true, as almost all the other places I've been to seem to be over the £400 mark with a less desirable car. Obviously the actual make of car isn't a deal breaker, but I need room for a family of 4 plus luggage.

Cheers
Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Comments

• Alt
    Alt Posts: 353 Forumite
    Options
    Used them before without any problems. Like all 3rd party brokers they use various rental companies. I have had Dollar and Thrifty. The t&c is very much like all the others like carhire3000 and the quidco discount is useful too.
  • Lexis200
    Lexis200 Posts: 272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I phoned them to see who they used in Orlando and they said Dollar.

@max_1066

"Dodge Charger in Orlando ... FANTASTIC !!!"
    Also mentioned that most full size cars that Dollar do are dodge chargers... WooHoo, proper muscle car! :)
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You don't need personal injury insurance - it wil be included in your travel insurance
  • Lexis200
    Lexis200 Posts: 272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought that was the case, but I haven't been abroad for so long, i just wasn't sure.

Now just have to hope the ash cloud dissipates quickly so we don't get affected by any passenger displacement knock-on effect.
  • Suzee
    Suzee Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I rently booked a rental car through Auto Europe - the agreement was with Dollar rent a car. Nowhere on the excluded list did it mention insurance. I am used to rentling cars in Europe and expect to be offered additional cover but understand that third party liability is always included. The price quoted was very reasonable $433 for a Dodge Charger for three weeks. However the insurance was even more than the rental. i downgraded the car to a midsize to reduce the sume but still had to pay an addtional $482. The agent told me if i did not take out this insurance (LDW and CDW) if the police stopped me i 'would not be legal'. being tired after a transatlantic flight i agreed and paid up.Now i am wondering exactly what the legal requirement is. My American friends told me their own car insurance provided some cover but i assume that is not the case for UK residents. At the very least i feel the rental company should have made it clear that insurance would be extra and how much it would be. I would have probaly gone somewhere else for a quote.

Can anyone throw any light on this issue please?
  • Foxtbh
    Foxtbh Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    A Dodge Charger is not a muscle car at all, that was the version from many years ago. It is infact simply a 4 door automatic Sedan. The 'wow Muscle' Dodge is now the Challenger.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Suzee wrote: »
    I rently booked a rental car through Auto Europe - the agreement was with Dollar rent a car. Nowhere on the excluded list did it mention insurance. I am used to rentling cars in Europe and expect to be offered additional cover but understand that third party liability is always included. The price quoted was very reasonable $433 for a Dodge Charger for three weeks. However the insurance was even more than the rental. i downgraded the car to a midsize to reduce the sume but still had to pay an addtional $482. The agent told me if i did not take out this insurance (LDW and CDW) if the police stopped me i 'would not be legal'. being tired after a transatlantic flight i agreed and paid up.Now i am wondering exactly what the legal requirement is. My American friends told me their own car insurance provided some cover but i assume that is not the case for UK residents. At the very least i feel the rental company should have made it clear that insurance would be extra and how much it would be. I would have probaly gone somewhere else for a quote.

Can anyone throw any light on this issue please?

That doesn't sound like Auto Europe to me - they charge in ££, not dollars. I was going to say 'are you sure you used Auto Europe' but you must be.

Methinks Dollar lied to you. Auto Europe might not always include the equivalent of an excess waiver but they would always include what was legally necessary.
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Foxtbh wrote: »
    A Dodge Charger is not a muscle car at all, that was the version from many years ago. It is infact simply a 4 door automatic Sedan. The 'wow Muscle' Dodge is now the Challenger.

If you were lucky enough to get a Charger with a HEMI, you'd be laughing - but the chances of that happening are somewhere between very loow and non-existent !
  • Max_1066
    Max_1066 Posts: 169 Forumite
    Options
    Would be great if they hired out the HEMI version although I seriously doubt it. Still, Hertz used to hire out GT350 Mustangs (those were the days !!) :j

As mentioned above, Personal Injury insurance should be covered within your travel insurance. They also try to sell you Personal Effects insurance which again should be covered by your travel insurance or possibly your home insurance.

After a long flight the mass of paperwork and options you're faced with at the rental desk is very confusing so try to get all the insurances, etc sorted before arrival.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport