Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Not much done today as I am so tired, I did do a mini shop at the frozen food place, I only went there as you can park right outside :o but they do have a good selection of frozen veg, so I might start going there again. I know I can get ald* veg cheap, but frozen is handy when you are in a hurry.

I'm off to check the accts now, its not good again as I had to take £50 out of the food money as when we arrived at the cottage the farmers wife came over rather embarrassed and said we still owed another £50 on top of the £40 we paid on arrival, when I emailed for the balance prior to going she thought we had Paid £100 deposit not £50. I did feel bad and usually I have a good memory for money being paid out.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • tootoo
    tootoo Posts: 681 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sounds like you had fun other than the horrid journey home.
    :)
    MFW.....Apr 33 Aim - Dec 26
  • never_too_old
    Options
    Morning NG
    Thanks for asking over me,im fine just lost my blogging mojo at the moment(so if you find it i will send a sae for its save return)
    RL seems to get in the way at the moment and for some reason i havent been getting notificationsof your posts.
    Hope you and family are ok ,i think i need to do some catching up.
    take care
    :)
    MAKE £2022 in 2022 no 29 £2022/£434.10
    Mortgage@ 1/1/2022 £17540 / £1601.39
    pay all your debts by xmas 2022 £15000/ £1865.29

https://www.facebook.com/groups/680889456637403
    you tube channel never too old
  • newgirly
    Options
    Hi nto, thanks for popping in and letting me know you are ok :)

Finally we have Internet at home again, its been weeks now, then it took 3 visits to actually get it working. I have really missed being online whenever I want , I have lost touch with all the diaries and blogs I like to read, and to be honest have overspent too :o

Anyway, the loft room is nearly complete, we have carpet being fitted tomorrow and I have spent the day glossing the banisters ( carpet fitters brought forward the date, so it a bit last minute) the heating is on 25 to try and blast it all dry so its tropical here. Just hope its all ok. My parents have very kindly bought us carpet as a Xmas present so that's one less thing to worry about and have to put on the cc. Everything has cost so much money lately. Today was gloss paint and blinds for two of the windows and a bathroom mirror for the ensuite.

I'm off for an early night and diary catch up :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    edited 8 November 2013 at 11:45AM
    Options
    I have just had a letter from the car ins company, asking me to ring them as I have a conviction on my Nsd proof that I had not told them about. So after a little panic (policy has gone down by over £100 this yr) I rang them, and it turns out that they have the conviction but I listed it as 2012 not 2011. End result they are giving me a refund of £12.63 :T car ins companies always seem to want more money not less, I am going to op it all on celebration :D

I had a chat with the IO dept of my building society, I was hoping to extend the term by a few yrs (146k balance and only 8 1/2 yrs left) and the answer was no. Plus they want to know how I plan to pay it all back , which is fair enough but by that they mean what are the details of your investments etc. :eek:

I had decided to clear all the loans and 0% cc's (how we borrowed for the loft conversion) and them op the mortgage to clear around 8-10 yrs later.

They did make another suggestion though, go part IO part repayment, which I know you can do but I had not considered before.
    So that's what I've applied to do.

£145,950 total mortgage

£73,000 repayment over 23yrs 9 months (dh's 65th ) £370pm

£72,950 IO end date April 2022 £201 pm

So overall cost is only £169 more than the £401 I am paying now.

Priority will be to op the IO part by £250 pm which will clear it by the end of the current term.

Debts : loan still at £369pm (have already transferred £9,134 to 0%cc. Shortening the term) end date now April 2017

0%cc's timed to finish at the same time as loan , although will have to renew deals and pay fee for this)

Once loans and cc's paid snowball £717 pm from them to the repayment mortgage, plus snowball the IO money when that mortagge has cleared and we should be debt and mortgage free in May 2025.

In the meantime there is a few hundred pm leeway from my wages left over that can be op or spent on treats /holidays too.

It is a bit scary how much money we pay back pm month though:

£821 mortgage
    £368 loan
    £124 cc
    £225.70 cc

£1558 total ouch!
  • SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looks like a plan NG :)

£1558p/m sounds like a lot but you can do it hun
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • newgirly
    Options
    Thanks smlsave , this year has been a washout op wise, so I'm looking forward to a fresh start next year. :)

The carpet looks fab, although it is alarmingly pale :eek: it looks like wool but is supposedly bleach cleanable, so far no spill ages but the Siamese cat has been ripping away at the bottom step already! However hard I try we will never live in a magazine styled home :D

Last night I went to mr t , I have quit the £10 a day budget and gone back to using the cc instead, another failure as we just ran out of money, it will be cleared at the end of the month in full and its a cash back one, so it could be worse I suppose. I just wish ald*accepted cc's. We now have a fridge full, lots of meat and veg so I will meal plan around that when I get time, we are hoping to possibly get the new bedroom sorted this weekend, but dh s still working at the moment and we need to collect the bed and furniture from my parents.
  • newgirly
    Options
    We've just about got the new bedroom sorted and did sleep in it last night which was lovely :D

Time just keeps slipping away from me lately, I start work properly in just 2 weeks time and was hoping to get all the kids bedrooms shifted about and given a lick of paint before then :eek: we decided to do the proper makeovers next year bit by bit, but they can't wait for their own rooms that long , the boys are desperate for their own space.

It would be nice to do all the Xmas shopping before then as well if possible as dec is quite busy already. Dh is still in the process of kitting out the new premises he is moving the business to, which entails building a kitchen/office and goodness know what else, there is just so much going on at the moment.

Back later when I've gone through the finances and cooked the kids dinner , I need to catch up some dairies :D
  • newgirly
    Options
    In a terrible mess today, so to do list is:

Do all washing (about 10 loads :eek:)
    Do all ironing that's currently dry and ready
    Give new bedroom a clean and vacuum
    Boys room "shudder"
    Try and clear our old bedroom ready for dd
    Clean and clear the rest of the house
    Ring bs to get mortgage paperwork, they have sent balance instead of forms to change to 50% repayment
    Check accts
    Read diaries

Back later to tick off :D
  • newgirly
    Options
    Oops got a bit side tracked and didn't come back :p

I decided to leave the housework and washing and decorate dd's new bedroom instead, which looks lovely now, cream with a bright red wall and new bedclothes and cushions. I managed to do the whole lot alone on tues, so then I thought I'd give the box room a lick of paint weds ready for ds1 to move into.

That turned out to be a whole other can of worms :eek:my wonderful, bright lovely dd it turns out is a secret horder :rotfl: 20 bin bags from one box room, how is it even possible? Not sure where she has been hiding it all! Then to top it off I found mould behind the wardrobe , so have had to strip all the wall paper, or at least start the job. I gave p in the end last night as I wanted to watch poirot :D

Today I've spent the day cleaning and clearing , so far bathrooms and 2x bedrooms done and the kitchen. I will save the rest for tomorrow. Tonight I am taking dd and her friend to see benedict cumberbatch in Frankenstein (filmed in the theatre then shown in the cinema) we booked to go ages ago, but dh is too exhausted so I said dd's friend could come instead. I am really looking forward to it.

Still not caught up with diaries yet, hope everyone is ok :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback