PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

New Build buying advice - especially haggling...

Options
There's some really useful info on this site - thanks to all the contributers so far.
Here's my situation. My girlfriend and I are really interested in buying a property - a new build - list price is circa £185,000, according to the agent, and has also been marketed £195,000 online.
The property is in Scotland in the central belt, a little outside Glasgow.
The question I have is this: in light of recent falling house prices (the current list price is about £25,000 less than it was in November , realistically, what should we be trying to negotiate for in terms of price?
We have a sizeable deposit, about 25%.
To be honest, I'm a newb at this, and obviously don't want to make a costly balls up, so any advice on what we should be pitching for, and what tactics we should use would be really appreciated.

Comments

• kaych
    kaych Posts: 376 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My partner and I also went for a new build flat, we asked if there was any incentive, he didn't say it at first until my partner mentioned gifted deposit, then he said they could offer 5% gifted deposit. I still think we are paying too much even with the 5% off... and we made the mistake by reserving the flat too early, as it seems your haggling power is greatly reduced once you have reserved...
  • brit1234
    brit1234 Posts: 5,385 Forumite
    Options
    You have to declare gifted deposits to lender and they are unlikely to accept them. Better get the money off as gifted deposits are a way of abusing the land registry figures upwards.
    :exclamatiScams - Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, Newbuy, Firstbuy and Help to Buy.

Save our Savers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport