Struggling with debt? Ask a debt advisor a question

Options

Comments

• win123
    win123 Posts: 80 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Please can you help with another question for my mum - she has an overdraft of 200 pound with her bank lloyds which are not one of her creditors that will be named on the DMP - just wanted advice on how to go about this - will the CCCS be patient and let us keep the overdraft and pay it off in a month or two when I have managed to save the money to close it as mum really does not want to change banks especially with her age it is stressing her out ( a friend is going to borro her 100 so it wont take long to get her out of her overdraft between us) The other option is to change her bank but how will she manage this and make sure she has enough for her direct debits to be paid until she is up and running on the DMP as her money that goes into the bank is her pension every week and then her DLA in the middle of the month how would she remove this money and manage to Pay her bills without LLoyds knowing what she is doing Please help advice ould be appreciated she is making herself ill with all the worry of this as she is elderly - Its a nightmare she is worried that she wont have enugh to pay her direct debits when they are due - or we need to find 200 quick to get her overdraft closed
  • StepChange_James
    StepChange_James Posts: 861 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Lulu21 wrote: »
    I've contacted Nationaldebt Helpline and was told I should go onto DMP :):j I am happy I made first step toward clearing all the mess I am into and it will take me around 3.5 years:rotfl:

Hi Lulu,

Congratulations, sounds like good news. The only thing I would suggest is that you make sure it is a free DMP you are signing up to (the paperwork will tell you this).

It sounds like you spoke to National Debtline (who are free) but there are some sneaky companies that use similar names but charge fees for their DMPs.

All the best.

James
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity (formerly CCCS) and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy

If money worries are keeping you awake, read Paul's success story at Need to Sleep

• StepChange_James
    StepChange_James Posts: 861 Organisation Representative
    Options
    win123 wrote: »
    Please can you help with another question for my mum - she has an overdraft of 200 pound with her bank lloyds which are not one of her creditors that will be named on the DMP - just wanted advice on how to go about this - will the CCCS be patient and let us keep the overdraft and pay it off in a month or two when I have managed to save the money to close it as mum really does not want to change banks especially with her age it is stressing her out ( a friend is going to borro her 100 so it wont take long to get her out of her overdraft between us) The other option is to change her bank but how will she manage this and make sure she has enough for her direct debits to be paid until she is up and running on the DMP as her money that goes into the bank is her pension every week and then her DLA in the middle of the month how would she remove this money and manage to Pay her bills without LLoyds knowing what she is doing Please help advice ould be appreciated she is making herself ill with all the worry of this as she is elderly - Its a nightmare she is worried that she wont have enugh to pay her direct debits when they are due - or we need to find 200 quick to get her overdraft closed

Hi,

The best thing to do would be to add the overdraft into the DMP, you can just give us the information when you call to adjust the budget.

To put the overdraft onto a DMP you mother will need a new account. Most people find this less hassle than they expect. If she goes for a simple basic account with no overdraft at a bank she has no debts with then there shouldn't be any problems qualifying for the account.

Once the new account is opened your mother can transfer her income payments and direct debits to her new account (some banks have a service to help with this). The overdraft would stay where it is and we would start paying it through the plan once it has started.

Hope this helps.

James
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity (formerly CCCS) and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy

If money worries are keeping you awake, read Paul's success story at Need to Sleep

• win123
    Options
    Just wanted to say a big thank you to CCCS - paerwork came through the post this am and I went through the budget sheet with my mum and rang CCCS straight away to let them know of the changes so now mum has to pay 104 per month instead of 216 which is fantastic - this is to start in December - they were really helpful on the phone and moved the budget around to suit my mum which is fantastic - Can;t thank you enough CCCS

One little problem last week I rang Payplan and I dont mean to sound rude but they were not as helpful with me as CCCS were - so we have decided to go with CCCS so do I just ring payplan back up and say we have changed our minds - Thank you I will be worrying about this now lol
  • xcarl86x
    Options
    Hi, quite a long story really but i'll try and keep it short.
    Basically in 2005 i got a credit card with my lloyds tsb account, i left my job and used the card as i had no money, needless to say i stopped making repayments. 6 months later i moved out of my flat where i'd taken out the card and moved around 5 times in the next 3-4 years, each time changing my address with Lloyds.In all this time, after the first few initial reminders in the 6 months after stopping repayments, i recieved no more correspondance from Lloyds so buried my head and forgot about the card.
    In 2010 my girlfriend and i applied for a mortgage and were refused, after some digging i found the Lloyds account defaulted in Feb 2008 with an outstanding balance of £1300, i made an appointment with Lloyds to discuss the matter of repaying the debt but they could not find anything to do with the card on their system but my profile did state not to lend me anything, they tried calling CC services and again nothing, i was advised to find a statement and account number and call CC services myself, i did this and was cut off short as when i was asked for my postcode, i asked which one and the adviser could not tell me so i basically failed security checks.
    I felt i'd tried my best and once again forgot the matter, hoping it would go away in Feb 2014 (6 years from the default date).
    In July 2012 i recieved a letter from Lloyds stating the debt had been sold to Lowell group plc, which suprised me as 18 months earlier they had no recollection and hadn't contacted me to say otherwise, I called Lowell to explain the situation and they just tried and tried to have me set up a direct debit, i explained i would not make any payments until i have spoken to Lloyds once more, so this is what i did.
    Once again the lady at LLoyds and CC services could not explain the situation and actually advised me to speak to citizens advice about the matter.
    I then recieved phone calls and texts every day for 2 weeks from Lowell, i hadn't responded as i was away, so i now disputed this debt with Lowell explaining that they should show me proof that i owe it and how they came to the figure they are asking for and that if they didn't reply within 28 days i would ask for an investigation through their complaints department and then would seek advice from the financial ombudsman, this was on 03/10/12 i have recieved no more contact from them since.
    However last week i recieved a credit report alert which was to say that the Lloyds TSB account is now settled, does this mean i no longer owe anyone the debt? or is this because Lloyds sold the debt so it's now up to Lowell to put up an account? also will the debt still be wiped after 6 years from the default or will that 6 years start again?
  • kelvinguy85
    Options
    how much does the law say i need for food per week
  • win123
    Options
    Dear CCCS

Thanks for the advice that cccs would not force my mum to pay the 216 if it left her short - I did as you suggested and rang the lovely lady at cccs this morning and wow she was fantastic she adjusted the budget sheet and it now works out that mum will be paying 100 per month - thank god what a relief - Just wanted to say that you are all fantastic her on this site and the phone at CCCS and help put peoples mind at rest - will I now get the adjusted paperwork through with this 100 pound a month to pay instad of the 216? Thanks again now its just the bank acount problem getting it changed to add er overfdraft into the plan we are just worried that while she is doing this she wont have enough to pay her bills we are not sure how to do this
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    win123 wrote: »
    Dear CCCS

Thanks for the advice that cccs would not force my mum to pay the 216 if it left her short - I did as you suggested and rang the lovely lady at cccs this morning and wow she was fantastic she adjusted the budget sheet and it now works out that mum will be paying 100 per month - thank god what a relief - Just wanted to say that you are all fantastic her on this site and the phone at CCCS and help put peoples mind at rest - will I now get the adjusted paperwork through with this 100 pound a month to pay instad of the 216? Thanks again now its just the bank acount problem getting it changed to add er overfdraft into the plan we are just worried that while she is doing this she wont have enough to pay her bills we are not sure how to do this

The 1st thing to do is get a new bank account, so any incoming payments can be changed, as for outgoings, - I would suggest just paying token payments to the creditors, when you get your pack from CCCS your have a template letter to send to your creditors, I phoned some of mine to say that I am with CCCS, who are dealing with my debts and that this month would be a token payment. For me once I got the letters sent it felt real and I will admit I was like oh heck what have I done, then the 1st payment out, reality hit me then, for me as paid CCCS start of month, this be the 1st month the creditors get there new payments.

Your doing brilliantly and its great that your helping mum, xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    My debt free journey is definatly under way, just had my 1st statement from CCCS, at least now the creditors have had a payment, see how their statements work against the ones from CCCS. My est debt free date April 2021, - 9 yrs away, hopefully things change and get more money paid off!!
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    xcarl86x wrote: »
    Hi, quite a long story really but i'll try and keep it short.
    Basically in 2005 i got a credit card with my lloyds tsb account, i left my job and used the card as i had no money, needless to say i stopped making repayments. 6 months later i moved out of my flat where i'd taken out the card and moved around 5 times in the next 3-4 years, each time changing my address with Lloyds.In all this time, after the first few initial reminders in the 6 months after stopping repayments, i recieved no more correspondance from Lloyds so buried my head and forgot about the card.
    In 2010 my girlfriend and i applied for a mortgage and were refused, after some digging i found the Lloyds account defaulted in Feb 2008 with an outstanding balance of £1300, i made an appointment with Lloyds to discuss the matter of repaying the debt but they could not find anything to do with the card on their system but my profile did state not to lend me anything, they tried calling CC services and again nothing, i was advised to find a statement and account number and call CC services myself, i did this and was cut off short as when i was asked for my postcode, i asked which one and the adviser could not tell me so i basically failed security checks.
    I felt i'd tried my best and once again forgot the matter, hoping it would go away in Feb 2014 (6 years from the default date).
    In July 2012 i recieved a letter from Lloyds stating the debt had been sold to Lowell group plc, which suprised me as 18 months earlier they had no recollection and hadn't contacted me to say otherwise, I called Lowell to explain the situation and they just tried and tried to have me set up a direct debit, i explained i would not make any payments until i have spoken to Lloyds once more, so this is what i did.
    Once again the lady at LLoyds and CC services could not explain the situation and actually advised me to speak to citizens advice about the matter.
    I then recieved phone calls and texts every day for 2 weeks from Lowell, i hadn't responded as i was away, so i now disputed this debt with Lowell explaining that they should show me proof that i owe it and how they came to the figure they are asking for and that if they didn't reply within 28 days i would ask for an investigation through their complaints department and then would seek advice from the financial ombudsman, this was on 03/10/12 i have recieved no more contact from them since.
    However last week i recieved a credit report alert which was to say that the Lloyds TSB account is now settled, does this mean i no longer owe anyone the debt? or is this because Lloyds sold the debt so it's now up to Lowell to put up an account? also will the debt still be wiped after 6 years from the default or will that 6 years start again?

Hi and thanks for your post.

It sounds like you would benefit from some free and impartial advice.

Creditors are unable to legally pursue you for the debt if, after six years;

■The creditor has not already obtained a county court judgment (CCJ)

■You or anyone else owing the money (on a debt in joint names) have not made a payment

■You have not written to the creditor admitting you owe the debt

However, the debt doesn’t disappear it can still be chased just not enforced through the court.

The default will show on your credit file for 6 years.

I’d recommend that you speak to Lloyds and Lowell again about this. We can’t really comment on their internal policies or what has happened to the debt.

The below blogpost should give you some details on the Limitations act.

http://moneyaware.co.uk/2011/08/your-debts-written-off-is-it-too-good-to-be-true/

If you need help putting a repayment plan in place should you need to please get in touch.

I hope this helps

Kind regards,

Mat
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills