MSE News: New top iPhone tariff from Tesco Mobile

in Mobiles
8 replies 2.6K views
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Tesco has launched a new iPhone tariff that is best for mid-end users who don't want to be tied to a long contract ..."

Replies

• DireEmblemDireEmblem Forumite
    900 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Its getting so tempting now, but is there not rumours of the next model coming out soon?

If so I would be willing to hold out for that.
  • It's all very well them making these tempting offers but all I really need a mobile for are calls and texts and very rare WAP usage. On Asda's cheap PAYG deal I can get what I need with between £3 and £8 usage a month if I use it frugally.
    The real question for me with the i-phone deal is asking myself whether or not it would be an adequate substitute for my landline, broadband and mobile service. IMO it wouldn't so I'm going to stick.
  • reduxredux Forumite
    22.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm amazed to be told that £560 or £620 a year is supposed to be good value for this sometimes over-rated phone.

The last 3 years together have cost me less than that with as many minutes available and a modest phone. And with wi-fi available in more places, using VoIP to make calls when possible means a trend towards fewer mobile minutes needed.
  • 5867dude5867dude Forumite
    115 Posts
    redux wrote: »
    I'm amazed to be told that £560 or £620 a year is supposed to be good value for this sometimes over-rated phone.

The last 3 years together have cost me less than that with as many minutes available and a modest phone. And with wi-fi available in more places, using VoIP to make calls when possible means a trend towards fewer mobile minutes needed.

Well just like Macs, who have the components of a £400 laptop are sold for £850. Apple's in-ear headphones cost £61!?! Apple is like the Jack Wills of Tech. Overpriced due to the brand name.
  • haveagoadehaveagoade Forumite
    934 Posts
    5867dude wrote: »
    Well just like Macs, who have the components of a £400 laptop are sold for £850. Apple's in-ear headphones cost £61!?! Apple is like the Jack Wills of Tech. Overpriced due to the brand name.

Exactly, they are masters of extraction of impressive sums of money for quite ordinary products really.
  • If you're a low user (less than £15 a month say) with a lump sum it's cheaper to get Tesco's PAYG iPhone for £440, which also comes with unltd data for 12 months. It might also be cheaper if you spend a bit more than this on your phone bill as with their PAYG deal you get triple credit each time you top up.
    Go to the ant, thou sluggard
  • I know this may not be for everyone but you may know a friend etc.

My company provide us with O2 open cards as part of a benefits scheme.

It currently offers until 31st July

1. £125 credit on any pay monthly tariff over £20 inc iPhones.
    2. £100 credit on any simplicity 12 month deal
    i.e. so £10 monthly 12 month contract would cost £20 for the year 300mins unlimited txts.
    For those with iPhones £15 monthly 12 month contract would cost £80 for the year 300mins unlimited txts unlimited data.

These O2 open cards can be used 6 times per person for friends and family.:beer:

Personally I'm hoping the new iPhone announcement will be within and avail before the end of july to either drop the 3GS price or get the new one:rotfl:
  • JannerJanner Forumite
    37 Posts
    If past years are anything to go by, the next iPhone is likely to be announced at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in late June.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides