Ill Health issue and Work

Options
I wonder if you could please give me some advice.
My health has deteriorated since I broke my ankle in 2008, which was at a work related function, and has been potentially life changing.
My stamina levels have decreased substantially due to being in a plaster cast for several months and on crutches from Sept 08 until Feb 09 (6 months). I also have Lupus (SLE), COPD, Lung disease and Heart problems and my SLE has worsened due to the intervention of having 2 plates and 11 pins fitted in my ankle.
I returned to work for 4 months and then in June 09 suffered a heart attack. I was advised to have Triple Bypass Operation. After extensive medical tests, this could not be carried out, due to my low levels of oxygen and my COPD lung capacity and so went back to work in Sept 09.

In Jan 2010 I started to have severe chest pains. In February I had an Angiogram and Angioplasty (stents) and had a further Angiogram last month. This will be my 9th week off work and my doctor and my consultants have all advised that they would support me if I were to "medically retire"
I am registered disabled. I have 6 years left until I reach my pension age. I have worked for the company for 3 years and they have a Income Protection Scheme which covers employees if they are sick, but you need to be off sick continuously for 28 weeks, then it supposed to kick in with me being paid 75% of my salary until I reach my pension age.

My work has now requested I go for an independent medical assessment, which I am willing to do, but I would add here that they have not contacted me at all in the 9 weeks I have been off sick. Do you think they will automatically go down the Income Protection Scheme route or will they try and "medically retire" me due to ill health. OR even dismiss on the grounds of incapacity? They are paying me full wages at the moment and this is the norm, as its a very large company.
Any thoughts on the above would be most appreciated thanks!

Comments

• Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    generally large companies do what occupational health advises as they are not medical experts.

If they cannot see you working in the foreseeable future (next 12 months usually) it tends to be IHR with a lump sum. If it's "ever" (where ever is between 5 and 10 years) it's usually early pension.

What do you want to happen?
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • absfabs
    absfabs Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know the answers, but if you are in a union, contact them for advice.
  • markandkate
    markandkate Posts: 846 Forumite
    Options
    The first step towards assessing the capabilities or otherwise of an employee. Once the assessment is made then the employer can decide what action to take. the action will depend on the size of company, role and long term prospects for recovery. If the company feel that you are never likely to be able to resume your job then there is little point in keeping the job open. There may be a suggestion of a phased return to work but again it will depend on the work that you do and whether any can easily be found to cover the rest of the work.

You may also want to consider what you want and be honest and realsitic as there is little point in promising to return to full duties if you are not going to be capable. You may like to have some proposals to put to them in case you are asked.

Talking to the union is a good idea you may also like to find out what has happened to other people to get an idea of what the employers thinking is likely to be.
  • Sunflower001
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. I would like to think that they would go down the Income Protection Scheme route and pay me a salary until I am of pension age, which is in my contract. I do not belong to any unions, so cannot ask for help, not sure where to go to be honest. Im just really worried that they could dismiss me.
  • absfabs
    absfabs Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
    If it's your employer having to pay you under the Income Protection Scheme, then this will not be their preferred outcome, I fear. If it's an independent insurance, then perhaps it could happen.

As I said before, I'm no expert, just didn't want to read and run.

Perhaps CAB or ACAS can advise (again, not sure, just a wild guess)

Best wishes!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport