We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Decided that it's finally time to deal with my Halifax credit card!

Options
13»

Comments

• ampafc
    ampafc Posts: 614 Forumite
    Options
    Serious question - why can't you try and pay your debts like the rest of us have to? Or am I missing something here?
    Getting married to a wonderful lady on August 10, 2012.

Need to save up, lose weight, reduce my money worries and get back to being the real me! :j
  • never-in-doubt
    never-in-doubt Posts: 20,613 Forumite
    Options
    ampafc wrote: »
    Serious question - why can't you try and pay your debts like the rest of us have to? Or am I missing something here?

Idiot! :mad::mad::mad:

Created just for you!!! Why would someone utilise Unenforceability - Question & Answer!
    As the question has been asked, i'll do the decent thing and answer it, diplomatically and honestly. Hopefully then, if anyone else wants to know "under what circumstances would someone want to question the enforceability of a debt, other than to dodge it" we can link back to this post. :D

Lets not dwell on it, lets not quote it, lets just leave it and those that want an answer, can refer to this and have their answer.

I'll list 2 examples, of why someone may wish to pursue unenforceability;
    1. The Debt-Dodger
    This will be someone that has got themselves into debt, for whatever reason and has seen the coverage on the news etc and thinks they can just follow this process and walk away, debt free.

Its not true nor is it that easy! You can never walk away. There are always consequences, such as Default Entries being registered against you, possible CCJ's, possible Charging Orders, Fraud Indicators the list goes on. A debt dodger is not welcome on this thread. We will not give them the time of day, they are easy to spot and if you have a spare week check the first ever thread I done (from page 1, post 1) and you'll see there were a few there - they all came unstuck when they started to get default notices!
    2. The Last Resort
    This will be someone that has tried everything, they are paying Peter by taking from Paul and their outgoings far exceed their income and they may be considering an IVA or Bankruptcy.

In this situation, the debtor may have been in a great job or whatever, they then lost that job and could no longer afford their liabilities. We do not judge, we all make mistakes. Therefore, the debtor tries to speak to the lender and negotiate some type of repayment plan - maybe paying 50% per month until they find a job. Usually the lender (creditor) will say no, and sell the account to a DCA. Obviously the debtor is left scratching their head because they have tried almost everything and the lender has repaid their years of loyalty by threatening them with bailiffs or whatever.

The debtor then realises the lender is in fact using illegal bullying methods and decides to fight back. They therefore attempt unenforceability for a couple of reasons, mainly to get them off their back - some normality, as such. But secondly as a little revenge. You'll find almost every person I help on here has tried to negotiate in some way prior to posting up here - but when they keep hitting a brick wall, what do you expect?
    The above examples, though not exhaustive, are the main two reasons that someone may decide to "question the enforceability of a debt, other than to dodge it"

I trust this question has now been answered - lets move on, yea?
    :o 2010 - year of the troll :o

Niddy - Over & Out :wave:
  • pagenotfound2k
    Options
    Not heard from either Fairfax or Halifax since the previous letter? Do I keep waiting?
  • never-in-doubt
    never-in-doubt Posts: 20,613 Forumite
    Options
    Not heard from either Fairfax or Halifax since the previous letter? Do I keep waiting?

Oh yes - leave them to sweat in their own stupour! Just ignore them til they next respond to you :D
    :o 2010 - year of the troll :o

Niddy - Over & Out :wave:
  • pagenotfound2k
    Options
    Fairfax Solicitors have done me proud - they have sent me a copy of statements.

Or as their letter says, "please find enclosed you copy statements as requested" (sic).

What to do now?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family