What makes you feel poor

Options

Comments

• tootles_2
    tootles_2 Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Options
    Only having £7.50 to last me to the end of the month!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously....... I count my blessings, we do not have a lot, but we do have our health and strength and each other, there is food in the cupboards and the fridge and the allotment is just coming into its own.......we go to the library every week and take out 8 books each. OH plays bowls and I sew, we both garden.....we have 14 grandchildren ranging from 23 to 3 months and are a lot better off than many people.............

Living in the sunny? Midlands, where the pork pies come from:

saving for a trip to Florida and NYC Spring 2008

Total so far £14.00!!
  • Limana68
    Limana68 Posts: 486 Forumite
    Options
    I do feel glad and thankful I have my health, my familys heallth etc, however I do feel a bit miffed to be totally honest when I see other people driving a round in their brand new cars etc when I am in my battered old r reg !!!
    Liz
  • Broken_hearted
    Options
    I feel poor when everyone talks about their holidays and this is the first year ever I won't have one.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• kwisstan
    kwisstan Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    I think that shows how things move on. When I was growing up not having a colour TV could make you feel poor....hold on I'm not that old, must be my brother that thinks that.

I don't feel poor, although I do think at times what am I missing out on, then the kids jump on me. As far as I'm concerned material wealth is only part of the equation, having a healthy family is important to me.
    £2 savers club = £52 - spending money for holiday
  • MinnieSpender
    MinnieSpender Posts: 2,975 Forumite
    Options
    I feel poor when everyone talks about their holidays and this is the first year ever I won't have one.

This is my third year without a holiday. Before the last one, I hadn't had a holiday for ten years.

I don't even mind that much. I'm planning a big trip once I'm debt free and fully qualified (three years to go...:rotfl: ).
    :eek: What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about? :eek:
    Official "Bring back Mark and Lard NOW! or else (please)" Member 16
  • moriarty888
    Options
    It's comparing ourselves to others that makes us feel badly off. Status anxiety, which is made all the worse by the crazy consumerism all around us. Sometimes it takes a jolt to realise that really and truly, family, friends and health are the most important things in the world.
    I too used to look at people with fancy clothes, hair dos and shoes etc, and think "Hey, why can't I have/afford that?" . Having now gotten myself into so much debt trying to compete with others, I realise that they probably can't afford it either, and like many in this country, will end up getting a dose of credit card reality in the near future too. Luckily we've seen the light and are doing something about it, and with your encouragement I hope to do it sooner.
    Thanks!
  • Catseyez
    Catseyez Posts: 993 Forumite
    Options
    A few years ago, my ex-boyfriend and I didn't even have £2 to go to the local firework display. Also rooting around the house for pennies to pay for the laundrette. I felt (and was) poor then!

I never want to go back to that.
  • kickingkay
    kickingkay Posts: 314 Forumite
    Options
    i dont feel poor, just SKINT!
    i look at my home and see 1000's of unfinished jobs, i see my children playing with last years toys, and my daughter in her 2nd clothes
    what i see is my home i have spent so much time decorating and being so excited starting new project's mychildren still getting pleasure from toys they had 2 xmas ago, and how lucky my daughter is that i have such good friends with daughters the same size as mine,
    so no i dont feel poor just skint, i hate that there is always more month than money i hate that i will have to work til im 70, and i hate it that i wont be aboe to go and buy a new car in the foreseable future,
    i hate having to watch every penny so my kids can have pleaseure's but i dont hate not having a credit card or loan any more
    I JUST HATE HAVING TO PAY BACK THE OLD ONES LOL
    LIGHT BULB MOMENT, JUST IN THE NICK OF TIME!

DEBT JAN 2006 £83000:eek:
    DEBT MAY 2007 £40000 :eek:
  • MinnieSpender
    MinnieSpender Posts: 2,975 Forumite
    Options
    I once knew a man with a gold Rolls Royce. He had to sell it because people kept running coins down the side of it.

I don't know if it serves him right for showing off, or that people's jealousy sometimes gets out of hand, which is pathetic.

I'd be happy with a second-hand push bike, myself.
    :eek: What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about? :eek:
    Official "Bring back Mark and Lard NOW! or else (please)" Member 16
  • frugglewump
    Options
    I don't feel poor.

I do feel frustrated
    - when i see how slowly the balance is reducing
    - when it gets to day 5 of the month (all direct debits on the 5th) and i'm 2/3rds into the overdraft and counting the pennies until the next payday
    - when something i genuinely need becomes available and I can't have it (for example i really need some textbooks i can't get form the library for writing my module and the uni will only pay me back if i give shop receipts so i can't get the ebay/amazon bargains & i can't afford shop prices)
    Still wish I could buy a TARDIS instead of a house!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure