What makes you feel poor

Options
As many are battling here with being debtfree. I have to ask this question what makes you feel poor?

The reason I ask this was because I was listening to the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 about debt today. Don't forget :money: is on there tomorrow as well.

Anyway they where talking about debt today. I did not catch all of what this guy was saying sounds like he had run up debts and was paying then back. And was upset because on the train to work everyday he has read a library book I know shock horror rather than be using a laptop or Ipod like everyone else.

Sorry but did I miss something. Does he mean that only poor peole use libraries :confused:

And then he went on to say that the walk from the train station to work was full of shops wanting him to buy goods. Well of course they are they are shops. But it does not mean you have to go in them.

Sorry but I was rather taken aback by this guy who seemed to think what I call simple pleasures like borrowing a library book means you are poor. I never had the luxury of going to the local town library when I was young. Even though I love to read. I now when time allows go to the library and borrow books.

There is nothing that I do that makes me feel poor as I do what I want and not what others expect. On the whole I like my life can wish for a little more money but don't we all.

Is there anything that you do in your battle to be debt free that makes you feel poor.

Yours

Calley
Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin

Comments

• superjaggybunnet
    Options
    I don't feel poor at all.

I have everything I need.

Libraries are good things. Shops are there for you to use or not!

It is all about choices.

Envy also!
  • aurora_borealis_2
    Options
    My children :rolleyes:
    de do-do-do, de dar-dar-dar ;)
  • mrs_mug_2
    mrs_mug_2 Posts: 172 Forumite
    Options
    Not being able to afford for my Husband to go on his mates stag do's (why do they insist on going abroad?). Infact the poor sod hasn't had a night out in 4 years. still, could be worse.

I feel the pinch when I'm buying food too. But only because I'd eat more rubbish if I was richer.
  • Mrs_Sparkle
    Mrs_Sparkle Posts: 1,805 Forumite
    Options
    I agree, I don't feel poor at all either. I mean, it's all relative and I do get a whiff of jealousy when I see people with bulging Selfridges bags but I have a comfortable house and plenty of food so I don't feel like I'm sacrificing anything to be debt free.

PS It's hard for me to get to a library but I find charity shops always have good stocks of paperbacks and I have an informal book swap thing going on with another internet forum.
    Debt at highest May 2006: £27,472.24
    currently: £13,353.25
    DFW Nerd 178
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    No, I'm definitely not poor. I have a wonderful husband, a respectable job which I love, a nice house, clothes to wear, food to eat etc.
    I have been poor. My mum, who was brought up during the war, was then widowed (in 1966) when I was 7 years old, in the days before Income Support and when single parents were never heard of and certainly not accomodated. She worked really hard for a pittance (no minimum wage or equal pay in those days either). There was no money then, barely enough to feed and clothe us. I know that she went without to feed me. That's what poor means. Having nothing, and no hope of getting out of your situation in the forseeable future. My mum's 75 now and has never adjusted psychologically to the fact that she's not poor any more. I suspect extreme hardship affects the mind at a very deep level somewhere.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My children :rolleyes:
    :rotfl: very true!

If I am feeling poor or depressed I always try to think of my blessings! we are all "reasonably" healthy, have a roof over our heads, clothes on our backs and food on the table.Many people would love just one of these blessings and we have them all! we dont have to walk miles for water etc! just because we cant buy lots of unneccesary "things" doesn't mean we are poor.

Money is extremely tight at the moment for us due to illness but we'll survive;)
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • MinnieSpender
    MinnieSpender Posts: 2,975 Forumite
    Options
    I don't feel poor. I've got a roof over my head, clothes to wear and the ability to earn a living. My fridge is full - it's basic, but I'm a good cook and I eat well. I struggle for money sometimes and I'd love to be debt free, but I know that one day I will be. In the grand scheme of things I think I'm lucky - and I have two libraries both within ten minutes walk of home. Now that's just greedy!
    :eek: What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about? :eek:
    Official "Bring back Mark and Lard NOW! or else (please)" Member 16
  • loopyloulou_3
    loopyloulou_3 Posts: 1,269 Forumite
    Options
    i agree

i dont ever feel poor - i do feel a little hard done by sometimes, but thats because it is my partner's debt that is stopping us from doing the things i would like to be able to.

but with roof over my head and food on table i dont feel poor. there are people a lot worse off than me.

i love my local library and am so glad when we moved house we moved within walking distance of one. its a treat for me not a sign of being poor!
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    and I have two libraries both within ten minutes walk of home. Now that's just greedy!

Now Minnie that is just plain greedy how dare you :rotfl:

I agree we are better off than 90% of the world. With clean water, good food etc. But people still bemoan the fact that they can't afford an XYZ.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Tallymanjohn
    Tallymanjohn Posts: 1,060 Forumite
    Options
    It's just another case of the consumerist (is that a real word?) society - started in the '80s & only getting worse. Kids now want the latest of everything; newlyweds wouldn't consider setting up home with 2nd hand furniture/appliances etc.; you're not a success if you haven't got an '06 plate, PDA, plasma screen etc. etc.

We sensible ones have not bothered but there are still a lot of the above around!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure