Megabus refund?

Options
geri1965_2
geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
We were supposed to be going to London today to see an exhibition at the British Museum.

We waited 1/2 hour for the Megabus to turn up but got fed up of waiting in the rain and went home.

What are the chances of getting a refund? It was only £12 but disappointing to miss our day out.

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,871 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Were you there ten minutes before the bus was due?
    From their T&Cs...
    11. Passengers are required to be at their departure point at least 10 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time...

They also say...
    21. Bookings with us may not be refunded except where we have materially failed in their delivery of the service offered by this site.
    So looks like all you need to do is determine that the bus did not run.
    Put your claim in, stating the facts.

I imagine thirty minutes is a reasonable time to wait, but another condition says...
    Compensation for delays is not offered.
    so perhaps they expect you to wait forever. ;)
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    I've heard some bad stories about megabus. I guess you get what you pay for, as in everything. They'll probably find a way to wriggle out of paying you any compensation.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No idea, but I'd probably not waste the time.

I do think their busses look good, though!!

VB

megabus.jpg
  • geri1965_2
    Options
    We were at the second stop on the journey and not sure what time it was due to get there - it left the first stop at 8.45 and that was the time we arrived at the second stop, which is 2 miles away. We waited until 9.3o.

I don't know how we can prove it didn't run, or if it was just late. I suppose we will have to rely on them actually knowing.

We have used them loads before and always found them reliable.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,871 Forumite
    Options
    geri1965 wrote: »
    We were at the second stop on the journey and not sure what time it was due to get there - it left the first stop at 8.45 and that was the time we arrived at the second stop, which is 2 miles away. We waited until 9.3o.

I don't know how we can prove it didn't run, or if it was just late. I suppose we will have to rely on them actually knowing.

We have used them loads before and always found them reliable.
    By asking people to be ten mins early, I suppose it is possible that they could depart at 08:35.
    At that time on a Good Friday, I imagine the roads would be quite clear, and maybe they passed your stop before 08:45.

Just guessing really..
  • geri1965_2
    Options
    No, the first stop (approx 2 miles away) was at 8.45. We got to our stop at that time just to be on the safe side.

I've got a nagging feeling that they don't stop at out stop anymore, although it's still listed on their website as a stop.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    geri1965 wrote: »
    No, the first stop (approx 2 miles away) was at 8.45. We got to our stop at that time just to be on the safe side.

I've got a nagging feeling that they don't stop at out stop anymore, although it's still listed on their website as a stop.
    I think KeithP was saying that if Megabus have told people to be at departure point 10 minutes before departure, which they have, then they are perfectly entitled to leave at 08:35.
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,585 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with Thriftymanc.........
    A polite letter will probably get you a refund, a long winded ranting letter will NOT get you one.
  • geri1965_2
    Options
    I've e-mailed them asking if I am entitled to a refund, so will await their response.
  • jamesbrownontheroad
    Options
    vansboy wrote: »
    No idea, but I'd probably not waste the time.

I do think their busses look good, though!!

VB

megabus.jpg

You shouldn't get your hopes up if you want to find cheap fares between Megabus' UK cities and their mid-western US cities, such as those served by the bus in that picture. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure