is cycling really green????

2»

Comments

• The bad weather has now forced me off my bike and back into the Mercedes. We are now on the winter timetable for the bus and the chip shops are getting wise to diesel owners .Good news is you can now buy energy saving light bulbs in Tesco for 20p , load up a white van and take them to Spain where they sell for 2 euro each at the boot sales as there is no subsidy in Spain on bulbs. Then load the van with booze and fags and come home. That's Xmas sorted.
  • For those though who may be interested in making comparisons between different modes of transport, the average length of a trip made by bicycle is only 2.35 miles whereas by local bus it's 4.16 miles (Department for Transport, National Travel Survey, 1999). So is bus really in direct competition with cycling? [/QUOTE]

so it looks like the bus and bike are in direct competition for about 50% of all trips mmmm
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It's probably not one person on a bike is the cause of the bus company losing money, it's all the other people using their cars.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Someone did the math that if we all eat properly. Its greener to drive everywhere than walk.

But as most people would exceed the calorie rate, its more greener and healthly to walk.
  • skoda fabia
    not french (parrot mode)
    honda jazz
    ford focus

i dont know the answer to your problem, but im sure one of the above will help on this forum
  • Well after watching QI it turns out the only green thing to do is not keep a dog as dogs have a carbon footprint bigger than a car. (should be carbon paw print I hear you thinking)
  • Tilt
    Tilt Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    Jesus H on a bike!
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • Incyder
    Incyder Posts: 2,016 Forumite
    edited 10 February 2011 at 2:47AM
    girl_on_bike_1.jpg

Babe_on_Bike_0089.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts