IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

is cycling really green????

in Motoring
18 replies 1.7K views
I own one Mercedes and three bicycles. I used to drive to do my shopping but started thinking I could do the shop using public transport. So I started using the bus. After an expensive period of bus travel I started using my bicycle, got fit, now I always use pedal power to shop. Quite a few friends saw the benefits and now cycle. The problem is the bus company will soon withdraw the service due to the losses of revenue and our town will eventually have no public transport. This means all the other bus users will have to use their cars instead of the bus and so there will be more road traffic and those without cars or physically challenged will have to walk. Also everyone in my town hates me for causing this ECO disaster and take out their anger anywhere I park my bike. So my Bike is Busted!!!!!! and now I have to use the Mercedes
How does economics explain this????
It seems like bike use only undermines public transport by reducing its revenue
as no matter if I cycle the bus still runs until the company goes bankrupt or is subsidised to run empty.

any ideas??????

Replies

• You're saying that your bicycle was vandalised because the bus service was withdrawn?

Excuse me if I find that to be incredibly unlikely. Unless you're a high-profile green campaigner.
  • tabskittentabskitten Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    I own one Mercedes and three bicycles. I used to drive to do my shopping but started thinking I could do the shop using public transport. So I started using the bus. After an expensive period of bus travel I started using my bicycle, got fit, now I always use pedal power to shop. Quite a few friends saw the benefits and now cycle. The problem is the bus company will soon withdraw the service due to the losses of revenue and our town will eventually have no public transport. This means all the other bus users will have to use their cars instead of the bus and so there will be more road traffic and those without cars or physically challenged will have to walk. Also everyone in my town hates me for causing this ECO disaster and take out their anger anywhere I park my bike. So my Bike is Busted!!!!!! and now I have to use the Mercedes
    as no matter if I cycle the bus still runs until the company goes bankrupt or is subsidised to run empty.

any ideas??????

easy- sell the Merc and buy a smart car.
    :silenced:
    I think tabskitten is a crying, walking, sleeping, talking, living troll :cool:
  • trouble is the Mercedes is 20 years old and could last another 20. How economical is that???and it will run on chip fat (like the owner)
  • thorthor Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Forumite

any ideas??????
    Yeah it is called capitalism. It is also why our banks are in such good shape......NOT!
  • boyse7enboyse7en Forumite
    883 Posts
    I'm sure this is a baiting wind-up but anyway...

Why will the bus company go bust? You have gone from driving a car (no money to bus company) to bus (increased revenue for bus company) to a bicycle (bus co. revenue returns to what it was when you were driving the car), so if it could run the service when you were driving, then it can run it when you are a cyclist.
  • Mids_CostcutterMids_Costcutter Forumite
    842 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    Forumite
    This has to be a wind-up: "everyone in my town hates me for causing this ECO disaster".

For those though who may be interested in making comparisons between different modes of transport, the average length of a trip made by bicycle is only 2.35 miles whereas by local bus it's 4.16 miles (Department for Transport, National Travel Survey, 1999). So is bus really in direct competition with cycling?
  • Eric_PischEric_Pisch Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    boyse7en wrote: »
    I'm sure this is a baiting wind-up but anyway...

Why will the bus company go bust? You have gone from driving a car (no money to bus company) to bus (increased revenue for bus company) to a bicycle (bus co. revenue returns to what it was when you were driving the car), so if it could run the service when you were driving, then it can run it when you are a cyclist.

privatised companies chase money, they have no interest in running social transport systems at cost or a loss

many rural areas (mine included) have had there bus services decimated since privatisation, not a problem for those with cars or fit enough to bike, what about those on a low income or the ill?

I doubt thou people would take it out on the bike thou, maybe the OP just cuts everyone up :D
  • FlearoyFlearoy Forumite
    274 Posts
    Me thinks you are talking boll0cks OP. I think a bus company might just manage without your 2 quid a day or whatever.

I wonder how long it will be before the OP reveals he is aware of some gadget that can undo the environmental harm done by cycling?

Spamalot, I like to push the Pramalot.
    Skip dipper and proud....
  • isitenoughisitenough Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    April fool joke?
    Thank you to everyone who posts comps! :A
    I would like to be lucky,healthy & happy in 2020! :T
  • isitenough wrote: »
    April fool joke?

Best one I have heard so far!!:rotfl: