Faulty TV from Amazon.co.uk

I purchased a Polaroid TV from Amazon about one and a half years ago. I was happy with this product untill recently when it ceased to work (will not come off standby mode). I contacted Amazon by phone and was told that I will have to contact the manufacturer for a repair or replacement as the TV is over a year old. Polaroid as a company does not exist (it is bankrupt), the name has been sold on to other manufacturers. I am unable to find a number to deal with this TV.
I looked at the DirectGov web site and it seems I have a case under the sale of goods act 1979 for Amazon to deal with this issue. I have told Amazon that 1.5 years life is not a reasonable time for a new TV to last. They emailed me and said

Thank you for contacting Amazon.co.uk.

I am sorry that you are not happy with your purchase.

Unfortunately, as you purchased this product when customer purchased item, and have used it without experiencing problems (to our knowledge), for a substantial period of time, we are unable to offer you a refund or replacement.

Please check whether your product still has a valid manufacturer’s warranty, either an original warranty or an extended warranty that you would have purchased at the time of purchase of your product.

If your product is still within its warranty period or you did purchase an extended warranty, please get in touch with the manufacturer immediately. The manufacturer may offer a repair or replacement service under its warranty terms.

If the manufacturer's warranty has expired, we still suggest that you contact the manufacturer. Depending on the circumstances, they may be prepared to help you or provide you with details of the charges for an out of warranty repair.

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.co.uk.

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Did I solve your problem?

IT DIT NOT!:(

Any advice would be great, thanks.

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You need to read up on the Sale of Goods Act and quote the relevant parts to Amazon, remeind them that your contract is with them as the retailer and they have a statutory duty to provide a remedy, providing the problem is due to an inherent manufacturing fault, something that you will have to prove. If you can do this then you will be entitled to a remedy of a repair, replacement or partial refund.

This may help http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20070905125222/http://www.berr.gov.uk/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html
  • cyberbob
    cyberbob Posts: 9,480 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    neilmcl wrote: »
    You need to read up on the Sale of Goods Act and quote the relevant parts to Amazon, remeind them that your contract is with them as the retailer and they have a statutory duty to provide a remedy, providing the problem is due to an inherent manufacturing fault, something that you will have to prove. If you can do this then you will be entitled to a remedy of a repair, replacement or partial refund.

This may help http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20070905125222/http://www.berr.gov.uk/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

Neil how do you know the TV has a manufacturing fault? Have you seen or examined the TV? The OP will have difficulty getting amazon to follow up as Its out of the year guarantee for the OP to have any hope of getting anywhere via the SOGA he has to prove that the TV was not fit for purpose. Which is a very difficult thing to do.

As polaroid is still trading (they were purchased after the bankruptcy) the OP needs to approach them now not amazon to see if they will honour any problems

http://www.polaroid-definia.com/uk/home.html
  • gordikin
    gordikin Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    cyberbob wrote: »
    Neil how do you know the TV has a manufacturing fault? Have you seen or examined the TV? The OP will have difficulty getting amazon to follow up as Its out of the year guarantee for the OP to have any hope of getting anywhere via the SOGA he has to prove that the TV was not fit for purpose. Which is a very difficult thing to do.

As polaroid is still trading (they were purchased after the bankruptcy) the OP needs to approach them now not amazon to see if they will honour any problems

http://www.polaroid-definia.com/uk/home.html

Neil did not say the TV has a manufacturing fault.
  • neilmcl
    cyberbob wrote: »
    Neil how do you know the TV has a manufacturing fault? Have you seen or examined the TV?
    Try reading my post again please. Did I say that his TV had an inherent fault, no.smiley-rolleyes008.gif

I said that the OP would have to prove that the problem was caused by an inherent fault for the SOGA to apply, and for the record it isn't as difficult as you would like to believe, he will need an engineers report the cost of which he'll be able to reclaim if it goes in his favour.
  • Thanks for all the feedback.
    I have already spoke to Amazon quoting the SOGA, with the reply posted. I contacted consumer direct and they said i should get some general statements from TV engineers giving the acceptable lifetime of this sort of TV. I was also told not to pay for a report at this time.
    There is a international website with Polaroid TVs on it. The UK contact number is to a six month old company which has no connection with the Polaroid TVs.
    Thanks, now I just have to get an repairman to look at my TV for free._pale_
  • neilmcl
    edited 1 April 2010 at 10:20AM
    You're going to be hard pressed to have anyone diagnose the issue for free. Unless the TV is made out of matchsticks any court in the land would rule that it would be reasonable to expect it to last longer than 1 1/2 yrs, you don't need an engineer to tell you this.
  • Hi Guys, there are a number of videos out there on main problem with this tv. It's a simple repair of replacing the capacitors on the power supply.

Check the youtube videos.

If you know someone handy with a soldering iron this can be done for a few quid.

Hope this helps.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    RipOffUK wrote: »
    I have already spoke to Amazon quoting the SOGA, with the reply posted.
    In my experience, Amazon's emails are answered at a service centre not on the shores of Europe. All they do is send you "copy and paste" paragraphs for each question you ask. The staff probably don't know what the SOGA is or what it means.

You are probably better off writing Amazon a letter, stating the facts and asking for a written response.

Amazon's full registered address is:
    Amazon EU Sàrl
    5 Rue Plaetis
    L-2338 Luxembourg

Their phone number is 0800 496 1081 if you want to speak to someone.
  • woody01
    woody01 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    neilmcl wrote: »
    You're going to be hard pressed to have anyone diagnose the issue for free. Unless the TV is made out of matchsticks any court in the land would rule that it would be reasonable to expect it to last longer than 1 1/2 yrs, you don't need an engineer to tell you this.
    Do you pluck all of your information from thin air.
    You last statement is just ridiculous and completely without substance.
  • neilmcl
    woody01 wrote: »
    Do you pluck all of your information from thin air.
    You last statement is just ridiculous and completely without substance.
    Why so rude. Any reasonable person would expect a TV to last longer than 1 1/2 years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure