abolished prescription charges?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
64 replies 5.6K views
fibefibe Forumite
128 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
Aren't prescription charges in northern ireland supposed to be abolished by April 2010?
Does that mean from tomorrow they are free? Or have I lost the plot?
Anyone confirm?
Cheers

Replies

• edited 31 March 2010 at 11:57AM
    caz2703caz2703 Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    edited 31 March 2010 at 11:57AM
    Prescription charges were reduced earlier this year and last time I was in the chemist they confirmed that charges were going as of April. Been kept very quiet though eh? Having had a baby a few months ago I've found it great getting free scripts so thankfully the charges are going as having another baby to get more free scripts is a bit drastic!!

Ah haaa found proof: http://www.northernireland.gov.uk/news/news-dhssps-31032010-mcgimpsey-introduces-free
  • fibefibe Forumite
    128 Posts
    Yes that would be a bit drastic! LOL

Thank you, looks like I will wait and get my prescription tomorrow instead of today ! I thought I had dreamt it for a bit there.

Thanks again
  • jenheifferjenheiffer Forumite
    395 Posts
    Only a tiny percentage of the population were eligible for charges anyway,so it's only fair that it's been abolished.
  • fibefibe Forumite
    128 Posts
    I'm well pleased, i'm one of the tiny percentage!
  • quintwinsquintwins Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    yeah i saw a sign in boots wasn't sure when it started tho
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • Heard on radio on way home from work it's from midnight tonight. :T
  • caz2703caz2703 Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    jenheiffer wrote: »
    Only a tiny percentage of the population were eligible for charges anyway,so it's only fair that it's been abolished.

I'd love to know how so many got them for free then. Being a tax payer I've had to pay all my life up until I got pregnant and no-one I know doesn't pay for them including my mum who, because she doesn't work but doesn't claim job seekers, gets hit with tax and charges such as prescriptions.
  • purtpurt Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry but I think the idea of abolishing prescription charges is just naff and pure politicking on the part of our local MLAs and Minister. The health service is strapped for cash so, what do we do? Yes, that's right, reduce the amount of money going into the health service even further. Still, it wins votes I suppose.
  • caz2703caz2703 Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    culchied wrote: »
    Sorry but I think the idea of abolishing prescription charges is just naff and pure politicking on the part of our local MLAs and Minister. The health service is strapped for cash so, what do we do? Yes, that's right, reduce the amount of money going into the health service even further. Still, it wins votes I suppose.

I agree with your comments but when Scotland abolished charges I think the local government had no choice. Then again, with an election coming up what better way to get people to vote in your favour than to have some sort of event that happens close to the time. It's almost like the Presbyterian Mutual resolution - I don't believe in coincidences and MPs aren't a generous bunch so by default I look at something that benefits me and wonder how they're going to shaft me in return.
  • caz2703 wrote: »
    I'd love to know how so many got them for free then. Being a tax payer I've had to pay all my life up until I got pregnant and no-one I know doesn't pay for them including my mum who, because she doesn't work but doesn't claim job seekers, gets hit with tax and charges such as prescriptions.

Think you've answered you're own question there!! I'm assuming most of the folk you know are also hard working Tax Payers!!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco launches its first ever...

...checkout-free supermarket store

MSE News

25+ ways to stop scams

Plus what to do if you're a victim

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

The Body Shop, Holland & Barrett etc

MSE Deals