moving, Virgin contract, new house non fibre optic area - what should I know?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
4 replies 1.3K views
dollyrocksdollyrocks Forumite
162 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Hi,

We are currently coming to the end of 6 months in rented property where we have had Virgin broadband and telephone. It was a terrible hassle to get it all sorted but since then has been ok.

We are moving into a house we have just bought in about 3 weeks. It is not in a Virgin fibre optic area. When I first took out the package, I explained that we would be moving in 6 months, was told that was fine, and that if they couldn't offer the same service as we were getting now we could cancel without any charges.

I am going to call them tomorrow to arrange either the transfer or cancellation of services. We'd rather cancel but don't want to pay a big fee; and I am really worried that they will deny that I was told I could cancel without charges.

Can anyone advise me on what I should be saying to Virgin? It was so stressful dealing with their customer services when we were having it installed that I feel a bit sick thinking about it now!

Replies

• eamoneamon Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could still use Virgin for your BB at your new house. Ring them up & wait for the option to speak to the retentions/cancellations team. They wield power and do have common sense and they are in the UK.
  • grimleagrimlea Forumite
    204 Posts
    eamon wrote: »
    You could still use Virgin for your BB at your new house. Ring them up & wait for the option to speak to the retentions/cancellations team. They wield power and do have common sense and they are in the UK.

no point calling the retentions team as they cannot deal with it - you need to speak to movers.

you can be transfered to these from any other department
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't have cable, but you can have Virgin National (their ADSL service).
    I'd be very surprised if they'd release you from your contract half way through because you are moving, so I hope you got that in writing.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • dollyrocksdollyrocks Forumite
    162 Posts
    haven't got it in writing, no - I did ask them to put it in writing but it rather fell by the wayside with all the other problems that came up, which took nearly 3 months to resolve. I actually wouldn't mind staying with them if it all works out ok, just finding them a bit expensive compared to our last provider (BT) and their customer service is just so awful. Not that BT's was brilliant, mind you...

Well, will see what they say...I feel like an idiot for not pursuing them to get this in writing, because I realise now it was just the sales team saying any old rubbish to get me to take out a contract. I feel so cross about it but I guess more fool me for actually believing them,
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals