Virgin Taken Out By Someone At Old Address

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
1 reply 456 views
tony_cluedotony_cluedo Forumite
101 Posts
Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
My brother saw the Credit Expert ads currently on TV for one month's free access to check your credit file. He joined up and found that a Default from Virgin in his name. The default was at a house that he owned from late 2006 to mid 2007. He bought it to do it up and never lived there. The Virgin account appears to have been set up in mid 2008 and now stands at about £450. The date of birth on the account is not my brothers either. Presumably something has been sent to the house with my brother's name on it and the new tenant has used that.
He spoke to two people at Virgin. The first basically said he didn't believe my brother and that fraud does not happen to Virgin, the second said something similiar but said he could refer it to a fraud team.
We can prove easily enough that he did not own the house at the time the account was taken out. Solicitor has all the relevant documents.
Is there anyone he could complain to this about? Information Commissioners Office?
He is now a customer with Virgin at his own house and was wondering if he could push them for some free stuff to make it up to him?
Not sure if this is the right place but hopefully someone could point him in right direction.
Cheers.

Replies

• macmanmacman Forumite
    48.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just contact the credit agency (Experian or Equifax) and get it corrected on file.
    Why do you think Virgin should compensate him? It wasn't them that committed the fraud!
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals