PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

House sale - no boiler cert, options?

Options

Comments

• timmyt
    timmyt Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Options
    good grief. OP if you want your house sold - as a conveyancing solicitor I have seen this time over do the following:

1. indemnity insurance
    2. have it serviced by gas safe registered company to at least give it a thumbs up that there is no danger.

the buyer can do likewise, as buyers have always done when buying a home.

you'll be fine

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/Planning/BuildingRegulations/DG_10030520
    My posts are just my opinions and are not offered as legal advice - though I consider them darn fine opinions none the less.:cool2:

My bad spelling...well I rush type these opinions on my own time, so sorry, but they are free.:o
  • <sebb>
    <sebb> Posts: 453 Forumite
    Options
    Surely there must be a way to get a retrospective certificate? On the house I was buying, before I pulled out, when my solicitor found out there was no certificate she sent a letter to their solicitors saying it was not acceptable that there was no certificate as this was required by law and that they needed to get one.
  • timmyt
    Options
    Building control, unless danger to health and safety no action will be taken as LA don't have money

speak to a gas safe registered company and get their options
    My posts are just my opinions and are not offered as legal advice - though I consider them darn fine opinions none the less.:cool2:

My bad spelling...well I rush type these opinions on my own time, so sorry, but they are free.:o
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    <sebb> wrote: »
    Surely there must be a way to get a retrospective certificate? On the house I was buying, before I pulled out, when my solicitor found out there was no certificate she sent a letter to their solicitors saying it was not acceptable that there was no certificate as this was required by law and that they needed to get one.

How much easier would it have been to get it fitted by someone GSR in the first place.?

GSR.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • neilb1777
    Options
    Many thanks for everybodies input so far. Just to add, it was installed by a competant person and is serviced each year by a gas safe guy, so I am confident it's safe.
    Just need a retospective cert. somehow.
    I realise it will probably cost more than having it done by the book in the first place!!
  • timmyt
    Options
    just offer the paperwork to confirm the above, plus offer indemnity.

you'll be fine.

happy exchnage of contracts OP

• puddy
    puddy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    Options
    personally this is a lot of fuss about nothing, in the old days when people didnt always use registered people, what was different?

the op is being accused of virtually murdering his family by not getting a gas safe fitter, but before gas safe existed and pre corgi he would have had it fitted by a competent person (just like he did) and nothing would be wrong with it, now its suggested his house is about to blow up
  • <sebb>
    <sebb> Posts: 453 Forumite
    Options
    jenner wrote: »
    personally this is a lot of fuss about nothing, in the old days when people didnt always use registered people, what was different?

the op is being accused of virtually murdering his family by not getting a gas safe fitter, but before gas safe existed and pre corgi he would have had it fitted by a competent person (just like he did) and nothing would be wrong with it, now its suggested his house is about to blow up

Personally speaking, if I'm going to hand over hundreds of thousands of pounds of my hard earned cash, I'd want to know things were done properly (and legally). Indemnity policies dont cut it for me. My ideal would be a restropective certificate. If I still wanted the house, then I would accept indemnity and a gas safety inspection. But I'd still push for the retrospective certificate. It would NOT be a deal breaker, but I'd rather have retrospective certificates.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,143 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Three years after the event, I would rather have a new gas certificate that shows it is safe at this moment in time, than a retrospective installation certificate.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • puddy
    puddy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    Options
    but what else do you want done 'properly' do you want indemnity insurance for everything, retrospective certs for things that were put in prior to the legislation being put in, surely its buyer beware. when i sold my flat last year the boiler had been there for 20 years, i hadnt put it in, the previous vendor didnt put it in. i got it tested when i moved in, what the buyer did when she moved in is her business, she buys it as seen
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport