PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House sale - no boiler cert, options?

Options
Hi all,

I'm after some advice from the experts!

Basically my boiler was installed about 3 years ago and is not registered with gas safe. (cash in hand job, guy was ex corgi)
Now selling house so needs to be above board.
Anybody know how much it would cost for building control to certify it? (I know it won't be cheap I'm sitting down)
I don't fancy the indemnity policy route, looks like you have something to hide and I'm not sure a landloards cert will be sufficient.

Or is there another way??

Comments

• timmyt
    timmyt Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Options
    neilb1777 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm after some advice from the experts!

Basically my boiler was installed about 3 years ago and is not registered with gas safe. (cash in hand job, guy was ex corgi)
    Now selling house so needs to be above board.
    Anybody know how much it would cost for building control to certify it? (I know it won't be cheap I'm sitting down)
    I don't fancy the indemnity policy route, looks like you have something to hide and I'm not sure a landloards cert will be sufficient.

Or is there another way??

just get corgi certified person in to file the relevant cerrts
    My posts are just my opinions and are not offered as legal advice - though I consider them darn fine opinions none the less.:cool2:

My bad spelling...well I rush type these opinions on my own time, so sorry, but they are free.:o
  • shane42
    shane42 Posts: 293 Forumite
    Options
    no the council cant sign it off , it is a legal requirement to use gas safe registered installer , you are iresponsible to use a dodgy installer shame on you , you could kill your self your family your neigbours .
  • timmyt
    Options
    dont be daft shane42. the public have no idea about the rules, that is the story with uk law. the government use school boys to over complicate uk legislation drafting.

let the sale proceed and see what the buyer wants
    My posts are just my opinions and are not offered as legal advice - though I consider them darn fine opinions none the less.:cool2:

My bad spelling...well I rush type these opinions on my own time, so sorry, but they are free.:o
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    edited 29 March 2010 at 9:09PM
    Options
    timmyt wrote: »
    just get corgi certified person in to file the relevant cerrts

No you can't.

And it's now Gas Safe Registers second birthday (by which I mean this is the second year I have registered) ;)

Keep up with the hunt now!!

So the OP has knowingly paid an unregistered installer (I take that's what you mean by 'ex Corgi'?) and now wants to make it right. Might as well go the indemnity road as ,yes, you do have something to hide.

GSR.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • timmyt
    Options
    you can get a corgi chap in (or whatever you call them is my point) to service it and confirm it is fine. a buyer will accept that as the council won't engforce when there is no risk, and not after 12 months.

• MissMotivation
    MissMotivation Posts: 1,751 Forumite
    Options
    you can get a corgi chap in (or whatever you call them is my point) to service it and confirm it is fine. a buyer will accept that as the council won't engforce when there is no risk, and not after 12 months.

That's the point......no such thing as a "corgi chap" anymore!

OP.....hope you can sleep safe knowing you could potentially have an unsafe boiler :eek:

Indemnity policy is the way to go in terms of selling AND get a GAS SAFE registered heating chap to come and check it!
    My home is usually the House Buying, Renting and Selling Forum where I can be found trying to (sometimes unsucessfully) prove that not all Estate Agents are crooks. With 20 years experience of Sales/Lettings and having bought and sold many of my own properties I've usually got something to say ;)
    Ignore......check!
  • <sebb>
    <sebb> Posts: 453 Forumite
    Options
    Indemnity policy is the way to go in terms of selling AND get a GAS SAFE registered heating chap to come and check it!

Is there a way to get a retrospective certificate? Is that what you mean about getting the Gas Safe guy to check it? So do you need the indemnity policy too? I'm just asking because I recently pulled out of a sale where the vendor did the same thing (I pulled out for other reasons) but I would have wanted a retrospective certificate and NOT and indemnity policy - although I see you're suggesting it gets checked too which may have satisfied my concerns. I'd rather just have the certificate though!
  • shane42
    shane42 Posts: 293 Forumite
    Options
    <sebb> wrote: »
    Is there a way to get a retrospective certificate? Is that what you mean about getting the Gas Safe guy to check it? So do you need the indemnity policy too? I'm just asking because I recently pulled out of a sale where the vendor did the same thing (I pulled out for other reasons) but I would have wanted a retrospective certificate and NOT and indemnity policy - although I see you're suggesting it gets checked too which may have satisfied my concerns. I'd rather just have the certificate though!

hi
    dont buy a house from an idiot who is prepared to have a dodgy boiler fitted, what else is dodgy what other dangers are hidden? only an idiot has a boiler or fusebox done without using a skilled registered installer
  • david69_2
    david69_2 Posts: 580 Forumite
    Options
    That's the point......no such thing as a "corgi chap" anymore!

OP.....hope you can sleep safe knowing you could potentially have an unsafe boiler :eek:

I doubt the boiler is unsafe the bloke must of known what to do its lasted 3 years.
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options

A GSR engineer cannot issue a Cert. of Compliance.
    If one is not submitted to the solicitor then that would suggest to them that it was not installed properly, by a registered installer. In this case that may well be the case.
    Get the indemnity and hope the buyer is not put at risk with a possibly dodgy installation. Perhaps the vendor could be liable if there is an 'incident'

GSR.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure