Can anyone suggest a good debt collector?

Hello all,

First of all, sorry if this thread is in the wrong area. I had a look around and this seemed the best place for it but can a mod please move it if necessary?

Basically I'm after a good debt collecting agency as a debtor still hasn't paid up 1 year after a County Court Judgement and we are about to serve an Order to Obtain Information. I'm looking for an agency to take this debt recovery on immediatley as I no longer have the time to persue it.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Mum2twins98
    Mum2twins98 Posts: 123 Forumite
    edited 29 March 2010 at 1:14PM
    http://reliablecollection.com/feesandcontracts.html

You could try these

SORRY my mistake there is a UK reliable collections Somewhere !
    try this
    http://www.creditcollections.co.uk/uk-debt-collection.htm
    :oAutism isn't the end of the world just a journey to another one:)
    :eek:Why do people answer your questions just to be rude and unhelpful,don't like my question please don't answer:eek:
  • Strayer
    Strayer Posts: 7 Forumite
    Hi there,

Thanks for the response.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm in the UK in London.
  • hippyadam
    hippyadam Posts: 645 Forumite
    Getting a debt collector at this point would be pointless.

You've already got the CCJ and most agencies handle pre legal accounts. Certainly whatever you do, remember the golden rule:

PAY NO MONEY UP FRONT!

If they want any advance payment, file placement fee etc etc avoid them! if they were any good they would only want payment when you had been paid :)

As to the CCJ is it against a company or an individual? What have you tried so far to get paid? bailiffs? Have you looked into a charging order on a bank account or securing it against any property?
  • cyberbob
    cyberbob Posts: 9,480 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If you have a CCJ against them apply to the court bailiffs for collection
  • hippyadam
    cyberbob wrote: »
    If you have a CCJ against them apply to the court bailiffs for collection
    That's fine as long as they have the money to pay, or goods worth approximately 3X the value of the debt for the bailiff to levy on.

If they don't the OP is responsible for the bailiffs fee's!
  • Strayer
    Hi there,

Cheers for the reply. The CCJ is against an individual. We're at the first stage of trying to enforce the judgment after being messed around by the courts, and we have just managed to track the debtor down again as she moves around a lot.

We thought about bailiffs but as she rents we've got no idea of her financial situation hence the application for the Order to Obtain Information. We know that she has a newish car but it's on HP so she doesn't technically own it. I was looking to get a debt collection agency involved as the Order has to be served personally by me, or by a bailiff appointed by the court which will cost us another £100. I've heard that court bailiffs aren't that effective so I didn't want to waste yet more money, hence the desire to hand this over to an agency on a no-win-no-fee basis.

As we've already got the CCJ do you think that debt collection companies wouldn't be interested? I'd have though the opposite as we've done most of the hard work already.
  • Strayer
    hippyadam wrote: »
    That's fine as long as they have the money to pay, or goods worth approximately 3X the value of the debt for the bailiff to levy on.

If they don't the OP is responsible for the bailiffs fee's!

Thanks, good to know!
  • hippyadam
    So CCJ against an individual, rents her property, car on HP. Bailiffs have no right of entry and are heavily restricted nowadays as to what they can seize.

To be honest, unless this individual has assets in an account or stocks/shares and you obtain a charging order you'll probably never see any money :(

If you instruct the bailiff to serve the papers it will cost you £100 however this amount can be added to the judgement i believe. But then if she never pays, your a further £100 down.

Out of interest whats the approximate value of the debt including court fee's etc?
  • Strayer
    The approximate value of the debt is £2800 so it's worth pursuing, but like you said we may never see the money. Incidentally, I read something last night that you have to apply to have a CCJ to be put on someone's credit report. Is this true or does the court automatically add it?

The reason why we are going down the Order to Obtain information route is to see what money she does actually have. We know that she goes on loads of holidays and has a good job so hopefully the Order will shed some light on this. I think paying for the court to serve the Order will be the easiest route as we'll probably have to pay a debt collection agency £100 as well to serve it. I'd like to do it in person but I know she'll rip it up and laugh in my face.
  • hippyadam
    Strayer wrote: »
    I'd like to do it in person but I know she'll rip it up and laugh in my face.

Wouldn't matter, she would still be served at that point :D Although bailiffs are the way to go as it has to be witnessed etc that she has been served.

My advice, find out where she works and go for an attachment of earnings. You get paid as a deduction from her wages :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure