Additional V+ box

Options
Guys,

Looking to get an additional tv box in another room and have called Virgin to check the price. At the moment we have the XL TV package with a V+ box and have been looking to get another V+ box. Been quoted £150 + £5 per month. I thought that the cost per month was waived if you had the XL tv package.

Seen in other forums that people are getting the extra box for £75 but have called VM a couple of times but they are sticking to £150. Anyone got any experience of getting an extra V+ box? The standard box is £35 and the physical work of installing that cant be more than installing a V+ box.

Thoughts would be welcome.

Comments

• jb66
    jb66 Posts: 1,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The vhd box is £49 if you dont need 2 boxes that record
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    McTigger wrote: »
    Guys,

Looking to get an additional tv box in another room and have called Virgin to check the price. At the moment we have the XL TV package with a V+ box and have been looking to get another V+ box. Been quoted £150 + £5 per month. I thought that the cost per month was waived if you had the XL tv package.

Seen in other forums that people are getting the extra box for £75 but have called VM a couple of times but they are sticking to £150. Anyone got any experience of getting an extra V+ box? The standard box is £35 and the physical work of installing that cant be more than installing a V+ box.

Thoughts would be welcome.

It's the set up of the V+ Box,as for the physical work,it all depends on a few things:

1-number of existing services (TV & BBand) in the home
    2-Type of drop cable run from street cab to etb (grey box) RG6,7 or 11.
    3-Type of street cab (DP or E cab,E cabs are unpowered)
    4-Distance from cab to etb
    5-Signal strength at ETB & other points in the home & whether it can be adjusted in cab or by fitting a HDU.

Spike (ex NTL/VM Engineer)
  • McTigger
    McTigger Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cheers Spike. Surely it cant be that much of an issue or they would say that each install would have to be priced separately and take your account details and history into account to price it?

I see that the website says that the current deals are valid til 31/03/10 and I have noticed that they have brought out a new HD box (albeit not a recorder) so I might just wait a week or so and see what happens to their pricing,
  • McTigger
    McTigger Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jb66 wrote: »
    The vhd box is £49 if you dont need 2 boxes that record

Thx jb - I noticed that but ideally we want a second box that can record.
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    McTigger wrote: »
    Cheers Spike. Surely it cant be that much of an issue or they would say that each install would have to be priced separately and take your account details and history into account to price it?

I see that the website says that the current deals are valid til 31/03/10 and I have noticed that they have brought out a new HD box (albeit not a recorder) so I might just wait a week or so and see what happens to their pricing,

Normally it's done by a one man crew but if you experience problems,then a 2 man re-pull crew may come out to replace the drop cable.
    If the signal levels ok at the ETB (main entry point at the house,usually the video tape size box on the house wall0 then a HDU (Home Ditrabution Unit) may be required to be fitted at the point where the signal level is lowest,these are usually powered & back boosted using the cable from the
    affected point to the ETB.
    Any competent 1 man crew can fit these.
  • andy23537
    Options
    is it possiable to change the splitter(2way as another box in another room) to a 3 way and run a new cable to another box in a different room
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure