Howdens appliances

Options
124»

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why are you commenting on a post that is nearly a year old?
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • collydg
    Options
    Hi,

I could do with some advice, like others my builder recommends Howdens kitchens, which seem reasonable enough, but if I buy integrated appliances this would mean I can't have any option except what they sell! I was thinking of fridge and freezer separates am I best buying these un-integrated?

Also my builder is charging £1000 for fitting, am I being ripped off? I would say I have a small kitchen, no room for dishwasher and am thinking of buying to seperate fridge and freezer because current firdge freezer will overcrowd it, although bulider said I put this round the corner in dining room area where I am having wall knocked down between kitchen and dining room, or will this silly?:undecided
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    edited 3 February 2011 at 7:18PM
    Options
    You can et intergrated appliances elsewhere

As for fitting it cost me £300 to fit our kitchen and lay the wood floor in kitchen & dining room , the joiner charged £150 a day and it took him 2 days

I did rip out the old kitchen though which would have been another days work

Ours is a smallish kitchen, it was wall units (2 single & 2 double) , extractor unit, and 5 floor units and worktop and integrated wine rack & oven housing

Can you change the layout of the kitchen at all ,if you look at my picture the fridge used to be by the door but we moved it into the opposite corner

Howdens will come out and do a survey and give you the CAD 3D drawings to look at,this is the one they did for us....

kitchen.jpg
  • adamg
    adamg Posts: 485 Forumite
    Options
    collydg wrote: »
    Hi,
    Also my builder is charging £1000 for fitting, am I being ripped off? I would say I have a small kitchen, no room for dishwasher and am thinking of buying to seperate fridge and freezer because current firdge freezer will overcrowd it, although bulider said I put this round the corner in dining room area where I am having wall knocked down between kitchen and dining room, or will this silly?:undecided
    get a seond quote for fitting but £1000 is not a rip off imao, b and q charge minimum £2500 or so. You can as other poster said get applainces from anywhere else they are all standard side, just make sure they are on site for start of fit if you are planning on looking online.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,815 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    collydg wrote: »
    Hi,

I could do with some advice, like others my builder recommends Howdens kitchens, which seem reasonable enough, but if I buy integrated appliances this would mean I can't have any option except what they sell! I was thinking of fridge and freezer separates am I best buying these un-integrated?

Integrated appliances are standard sizes. You can buy any to fit into a Howdens kitchen, you just need to make sure with a fridge freezer for example that you get the door split right for the one that you buy. I've bought dozens of Howdens kitchen, the only appliance I've bought from them was a glass topped hob - because it was £25!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Ms_Magnetite
    Options
    DON'T GET LAMONA APPLIANCES!!!!!

They're pure rubbish. and when they go wrong after 8 weeks, you spend an absolute fortune on the phone to the warranty company, whose engineers don't turn up, they can't get parts for 8 week old appliances, so just ignore the situation until you get in touch with Howden's Head Office. They then pretend to email the branch to say a replacement has been approved. But don't, so you spend another hour on the phone trying to get it sorted. At which point to are told to uninstall the oven yourself and carry on the bus to the branch the builder bought it from. Eventually, two months after it went pouffffff, a new one gets delivered. but they haven't arranged for it to be installed, and tell you to book someone yourself, hanging up when you point out it is still under warranty. So you call Howden's again, who say that they should have automatically contacted them to obtain confirmation the installation was covered. The warranty people deny having received this email, which was sent 3 times.

So you then hope and pray that the engineer turns up on Tuesday to install the new one. And that it works for more than 8 weeks this time.

Had I chosen the oven that went in, I would have picked the Bosch. No doubt about that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure