Howdens appliances

Options

Comments

• pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Its not the cost of the extractor, to be any good it MUST have outside venting, not just re-cycling the old air.

How can I tell if it has outside venting? Does this one, for example?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150423828361&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • MsAnderson
    MsAnderson Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk

The forums are the place to be for answering questions about kitchen goods. However, as a general rule, Howdens are not the cheapest place to buy your apps from. I have had a new Howdens kitchen fitted but only the carcasses - the best bit. Used B&Q doors and Baumatic apps, and got a friend who is a Pogenpohl fitter to fit it. V happy with my lot!! I have used bootsappliances.co.uk for the apps. Much cheapness and v good service. Used twice in as many months.
  • pimento
    Options
    Hm. Joined the whitegood.co.uk site but it tells me I don't have permission to access ANY of the forums. What good is that?
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • MsAnderson
    MsAnderson Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    You can't see the trade forums, but you should be able to see the general ones, under Public Forums.

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=5

Hope this works for you.
  • pimento
    Options
    Ah yes. Didn't scroll down far enough... Thanks!
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pimento wrote: »
    How can I tell if it has outside venting? Does this one, for example?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150423828361&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    It says "Internal or external " Extraction", so it does both as they all do, its the labour drilling the outside wall, fitting ducting etc thats the problem, if you not near an outside wall you probably cant fit to external anyway.
  • pimento
    Options
    Thanks Roddy, installing it is my kitchen installer's problem luckily. My cooker is only about four feet from the outside wall and it will be vented along the top of the units and the units boxed in. No more dusty cupboard tops with rubbish stored on top for me! Yippee!

Work's starting next Tuesday.
  • widgery
    widgery Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I work for Howdens. So first off let me tell you that your fitter either doesn't know what he's talking about or he just want's everything to come from the same supplier because if there are any issues with anything he has one place to go to. Less hassle for him

As for the question 'is he getting a slice?' The answer is of course he is. He's a business man who works with his suppliers to makes himself as much money as possible. He may be doing you a favor but he's not an idiot, he's getting something out of this.

Finally, Bosch is amongst the best you can buy no matter where you buy it from. Be it Howdens, the internet or where ever. And Kitchen appliances are standard sizes, so any other make of appliance would fit the carcasses fine. Hope I've been a help.
  • widgery
    widgery Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    RX-78 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of Howdens myself. Do they not allow you to source your own appliance/sinks/taps etc? They are usually cheaper to get it on the net (I read kitchen manufacturers have better profit margin on appliances than the units).

In reply to this yes they do let you source your appliances/sinks/taps from elsewhere. you just have to clearly specify to your designer/fitter that this is what you are going to do.
  • mj62mj62
    mj62mj62 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    I have 3 appliances from Howdens.

One Bosch and 2 Lamona.

The 2 Lamona have problems and the Bosch one is great.

Howdens service for fixing the lamona ones is 'okay' but the warranty seemed short. Lamona is just a re-badge of other (cheap) makes...

Don't buy Lamona!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport