We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Kitchen Experts - opinions required and valued, please - MWilletts & CKdesigner?

leekat21
leekat21 Posts: 58 Forumite
I am in the process of planning a kitchen revamp and it's the first time I've ever embarked on anything like this. I'm worried about making an expensive mistake. I am a keen baker and user of the kitchen so it's got to be functional but also look stylish for at least 10 years.

One of my main questions is - which cooker hood? The wall that the cooker will be on is the one that joins my house to my neighbour and so we can't duct to the outside. I've been looking at Elica Glacier (110cm wide) as my rangemaster (induction) will be 110cm wide.

I have attached pics of the plan that I have come up with in conjunction with a planner from a local company. The cupboard doors would be Burbidge Landdowne (oak) and my work surface is to be stellar negro silestone.

Can you make any recommendations / suggestions?

Quote at the moment is just under £15k, still trying to get like for like quote from a Wentworth company.

OakPerspective1.jpg

OakPerspective2.jpg

OakPerspective3.jpg

OakBirdsEyeView.jpg
«1

Comments

  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    Looks lovely. I wish my kitchen was that big!

    Why can't you vent the hood out of the wall to the right (with the round window)? I'm about to have a kitchen fitted and we re doing just that.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • leekat21
    leekat21 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Kitchen planner indicated that it wouldn't be possible to vent that distance as it would be through 2 walls. The room through the porthole window will be utility room and will have boiler in it.

    I guess that's part of the reason I'm asking for recommendations, I don't have the knowledge or expertise myself.
  • sheslookinhot
    sheslookinhot Posts: 2,494
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Does your price include supply and fit of all units, appliances,worktops, tiled floor etc. What would price be for you to buy all materia only and select local labour, or your own, where required.


    My dilema is a quote for full installation of £19k or buy all material, Broadoak diy-kitchens, might look at yours, bosch integrated applainces granite worktop and labour (wortop fitting, Tiler & Electric) for £14k.

    5k difference so unless I can get price lower, will do it myself.
    Mortgage free
    Vocational freedom has arrived
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The only thing I would change is the piece of wood above the cooker hood, somehow it doesn't look right to me. I'd either have cupboards above the hood or remove the wood and just have the hood, if that makes sense.
  • leekat21
    leekat21 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Does your price include supply and fit of all units, appliances,worktops, tiled floor etc. What would price be for you to buy all materia only and select local labour, or your own, where required.


    My dilema is a quote for full installation of £19k or buy all material, Broadoak diy-kitchens, might look at yours, bosch integrated applainces granite worktop and labour (wortop fitting, Tiler & Electric) for £14k.

    5k difference so unless I can get price lower, will do it myself.

    My price is supply and fit, it doesn't include floor or appliances. The fitting is only about £1k. As this work is part of a major renovation which will see me with a new living room, new bedroom and a garden room to decorate as well as a garden to sort following builders finishing, we just won't have the time, energy or inlicnation to do the kitchen ourselves. I think we also know our limitations when it comes to DIY.

    I suspect that the only part that I could reallt save money on would perhaps be the supply and fit of the silestone as it's coming in at £3.5k. The cupboards, lighting and sink total just under £10k.

    The electrics are being done as part of our renovation so they're not included in this kitchen price.

    Does anyone have any comment re the Elica cooker hood that I've been considering? Elica Glacier. Will it have enough ooommppphh?
  • leekat21 wrote: »
    I suspect that the only part that I could reallt save money on would perhaps be the supply and fit of the silestone as it's coming in at £3.5k. The cupboards, lighting and sink total just under £10k.



    Does the 10k include appliacces as well as I would have thought it was a bit overpriced if it doesnt
  • Ladybird20
    Ladybird20 Posts: 465 Forumite
    i agree with peice of wood that runs across the cooker hood , it dosnt lok right ,,but everything else looks fab,,a great kitchen
  • Ladybird20 wrote: »
    i agree with peice of wood that runs across the cooker hood , it dosnt lok right ,,but everything else looks fab,,a great kitchen

    I disagree, although I accept it's personal taste, it looks a lot better in the flesh. We normally install downlighters in this area either side of the cooker hood too
  • premkit
    premkit Posts: 244
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    all elica extractors are good machines, but if you are recirculating you need to look into the cost of replacement filters. can you put up the link for the hood?
  • leekat21
    leekat21 Posts: 58 Forumite
    leekat21 wrote: »
    I suspect that the only part that I could reallt save money on would perhaps be the supply and fit of the silestone as it's coming in at £3.5k. The cupboards, lighting and sink total just under £10k.



    Does the 10k include appliacces as well as I would have thought it was a bit overpriced if it doesnt

    Cost of appliances is not included in the £10k, that's just the cabinets, doors, sink and the integrated lighting. I wonder how you consider I can get this cheaper? I am looking at burbidge lansdowne oak. My quote is from a very local company, and I think that there is only one other company locally that I could get a like for like quote on. This is the furniture involved -

    Furniture
    300mm Pullout Larder Unit – 660mm Deep
    300mm Pullout Larder Unit – 660mm Deep
    400mm Hiline Base Unit – LHH
    900mm L Corner Base – LHH
    500mm 3 Drawer Pan Base Unit
    500mm 3 Drawer Pan Base Unit
    1100mm Standard Corner Sink Base Unit – LH Blank – 600mm Door
    150mm Shelf Base Pullout
    End Support Panel x 2
    1120mm x 870mm Peninsular Back Panel
    300mm Base Wine Rack
    1000mm Standard Corner Base Unit To Contain Magic Corner – RH Blank – 500mm Door
    500mm 5 Drawer Base Unit
    900mm 3 Drawer Pan Base Unit
    500mm Broom Unit – RHH
    1000mm Top Box – 290mm High x 660mm Deep
    700mm Wall Unit – Pair – Recessed Led Downlight x 2
    600mm L Corner Wall Unit – LHH - Recessed Led Downlight x 2
    800mm Wall Unit – Pair - Recessed Led Downlight x 2
    1100mm x 300mm Flyshelf
    800mm Wall Unit – Pair - Recessed Led Downlight x 2
    300mm Wall Unit – LHH - Recessed Led Downlight
    1000mm Glass Wall Unit – Pair - Recessed Led Downlight x 4
    1000mm Glass Wall Unit – Pair - Recessed Led Downlight x 4
    Cornice x 4
    Lighting Pelmet x 3
    Plinth x 5
    Pewter Knob x 42


    Sink & Tap
    Franke CPX160 Undermount 1.5 Bowl Stainless Steel Sink
    Franke Olympus Tap – Chrome
    McAlpine SSK 2 Plumbing Kit

    I have always said I will get appliances myself as I suspect I can get them cheaper online or from my local O'Gormans store which is 10 minutes away. I will only be buying the Rangemaster induction cooker, Samsung fridge freezer and extraction hood. We already have a dishwasher that is stainless steel, it's an AEG and only about 3 years old so we'll use it until it dies rather than buying new.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.