first post , stupid questian

in Techie Stuff
12 replies 572 views
hello peeps..newbie , first post , in need of help...was reccomended to this place by someone from another forum..he said help could be on the way..
Heres wut i know so far...i have a Trojen Horse virus..from a download installer...is it poss i could actually get rid of this on my own?..
Please keep in mind , im a total idiot..im rilly just giving it a shot here , so i thank u in advance..
Whats next..

Replies

• superscapersuperscaper Forumite
    13.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Take a big hammer, aim at computer...... just kidding. Do you know if you have anti virus softare installed and is it up to date? If so a full system scan should enable the anti virus software to remove the trojan, or at least tell you specifically which virus it is.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • webmister22webmister22 Forumite
    89 Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Hi Taktard,

Your fisrty port of call should be up to date anti virus software. If you don't have any there is a free version for personal use available here:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/avg-anti-virus-free/lng/us/tpl/v5

I would also reccomend installing some anti spyware software such as Ad-Aware or MS anti Spyware. Links can be found below:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

The muicrosoft offering is only free until the end of this year but it works well if you have a reasonable PC.

Let me know how you get on.

Webmister22
  • tektardtektard Forumite
    5 Posts
    ..k heres what i have as protecion.. Adaware..and ive scanned 4 times , and it wasnt able to remove all of it..i use spybot , zone alarm , and Norton anti virus..im totally paranoid , so i update daily all three..the zone alarm did give the heads up , and i clicked allow...thats the story so far...any way i can find out what/where it is?

and thanks for the quick responce
    13.4K Posts
    Forumite
    I'm not too familiar with norton but it should contain a log somewhere of what and where it is. Which software detected it? you could set spybot to start once at boot up under the settings and then scan and remove before the pc completely boots up.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • iwanttosave_2iwanttosave_2 Forumite
    34.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    From what I have spoke to tekard about it seems he may also have a dose of malwear as he is getting popups to buy mobiles and stuff if you techie gods can help him with that as well.
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
    13.4K Posts
    Forumite
    In spybot select the settings in the left pane, from list select settings then under heading of "system start" select "run once at next system start up". Reboot the machine and spybot will automatically load, scan then remove any nasties. Hopefully that should do the trick, but let us know if not.
    Moss
    5 Posts
    I'm not too familiar with norton but it should contain a log somewhere of what and where it is. Which software detected it? you could set spybot to start once at boot up under the settings and then scan and remove before the pc completely boots up.

well the zone alarm popped up its warning , but i thought it was ok to click "allow"..then it was Norton that popped open a window and said a trojen horse virus coudnt be removed..
    and pleas keep in mind , im an idiot..thissl scare everyone away but ill need massive walk throughs..i have no idea how to do wut u just suggested..
    5 Posts
    In spybot select the settings in the left pane, from list select settings then under heading of "system start" select "run once at next system start up". Reboot the machine and spybot will automatically load, scan then remove any nasties. Hopefully that should do the trick, but let us know if not.
    ...that is wut i will do now...will keep u all posted
    5 Posts
    tektard wrote:
    ...that is wut i will do now...will keep u all posted
    did exactly that..rebooted twice..nothing..didnt automatically start on reboot..still getting popups
  • iwanttosave_2iwanttosave_2 Forumite
    34.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Can you manually start spybot and run it then? I dont know because I have never used it
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals