how to differentiate between Water/sewerage amounts

gzed
gzed Posts: 103 Forumite
Hi,

I am with Northumrbian water and the charge per cubic meter of water supply is different for that of sewerage service. As far as I know I only have 1 meter giving the total consumption so I was wondering how they differentiate the 2? is there another meter I have not seen that measured the amount of water coming out of the property or do they estimate it? Or do they assume everything that comes in then goes out and therefore tehy use the meter reading for each charges?

For example I use just over 10 cubic meter of water each month. The charge is £0.9182/m3 for water supply and £0.8752/m3 for sewarage service (forget about the fixed charge). So would my consumption be around £10/month or £20/month ????

thanks

Comments

• bluewire
    bluewire Posts: 182 Forumite
    The sewerage is charged based on what water comes in.
    However as it is fair to assume that not all of the water will return to the sewer the sewerage is charged at a lower rate per m3.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    The asumption by most companies is that 90% of supplied water returns to the sewer; the 10% is for gardens and evaporation.

Some fix a rate and reduce it by 10%. i.e. it is costed at £1 per cu mtr but they charge 90p.

Others charge the full rate for 90% of the water supplied. i.e. 100 cu mtrs supplied so they charge 90 cubic mtrs for sewerage.

If you can prove less than 90% is returned to sewer you can get a rebate.
  • gzed
    gzed Posts: 103 Forumite
    Ok thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills