We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Waiting for payment

Hi all,

I have been selling quite a bit lately to try and make some extra cash. I sold an unused rice cooker, auction finished last Saturday. No payment was forthcoming. I got in touch with the buyer asking for payment to be made promptly and got an email back saying they were in the process of moving and would send payment when the move was complete.

Any thoughts? Is the buyer ever likely to pay?

Kev
«1

Comments

  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    The best bet is give send them an email saying that u appriciate that their moving, but they did bid on the item,and that your prepared to wait 7 days,

    I know that might seem a cop out, but there is a payment window that ebay has before they let you bring a non-paying bidder, which the buyer may know that hense the excuse about the payment.

    I think it will be smile sweetly and then start non-payer, x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • vickypark3
    vickypark3 Posts: 101 Forumite
    Did you state in your seller terms when you expected payment by?

    IMHO, unless they contacted you before bidding and asked if you would be so kind as to wait for payment, then the buyer is taking the P**s.

    It is upto you how long you decide to give them, but if I hadnt received payment within 14 days, giving them the benefit of my doubt, I would then open an unpaid item dispute.

    Next excuse is likely to be that due to the move their internet connection needs to be sorted out!
  • kevrod79
    kevrod79 Posts: 128 Forumite
    No, I didn't state the payment window, but will now do so. Will give them the full 14 days and then lodge the unpaid item dispute. From looking at their feedback they have had "issues" with payment in the past.

    Kev
  • bezzza
    bezzza Posts: 731 Forumite
    It still amazes me that people don't pay up as soon as possible after an auction ends (fair enough if it ends at 4am then you expect be paid during daylight hours) - I always pay within 2 hours of an auction ending as I would not have bid if I did not want item. If they were able to respond to your email then they were clearly able to pay by paypal - it would have been quicker than them typing the reply to yourself! I hate people like this - if there's a genuine reason like I don't get paid until tomorrow then that's fine but moving house is no excuse. As an afterthought - you will probably have to wait quite a while for their new address to be confirmed on paypal/ebay, won't you? Changes with bank/credit card etc? Not entirely sure ......... anybody?
    :j:T Total Prize Value 2012 - £1835 :T:j
    :AThanx to all the good people that post comps (and answers!):A
    Be Good, Be Lucky, Be Happy:)
  • kevrod79
    kevrod79 Posts: 128 Forumite
    I have decided to email the buyer and request payment in 48 hours otherwise I will mark the auction as unpaid. My concern is that the buyer will leave negative and ruin my 100%.

    Any thoughts?

    Kev
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    As long as it's been 4 days you can open a not paid. You can also set your buyer prefernces to stop people with 2 strikes or more bidding on your item.
    People who bid & don't pay asap really bug me, usually you list stuff that you want gone asap. They knew they were moving when they bid so why not contact you before to ask if it was ok to pay when they feel like it.
  • kevrod79
    kevrod79 Posts: 128 Forumite
    Opened an Item not paid thing on ebay. What kind of feedback should I leave for the supposed buyer?

    Kev
  • Kestrel
    Kestrel Posts: 193 Forumite
    kevrod79 wrote: »
    Opened an Item not paid thing on ebay. What kind of feedback should I leave for the supposed buyer?

    Kev

    As a seller you have two choices:
    1. Positive (and be careful what you say)
    2. Don't leave feedback
  • cyberbob
    cyberbob Posts: 9,480 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    kevrod79 wrote: »
    I have decided to email the buyer and request payment in 48 hours otherwise I will mark the auction as unpaid. My concern is that the buyer will leave negative and ruin my 100%.

    Any thoughts?

    Kev

    If they leave a neg before the case is closed and they haven't paid it should be removed once you have closed the dispute. This came into practice when the dispute system was streamlined last year. There are some bugs in the system and it doesn't always works so if that happens phone ebay and tell them. I had one recently who left me a Neg but as soon as I closed the case the FB was removed. I do know for some reason this doesn't always happen

    Once the case is closed they can't leave any feedback. Remember you can close it after 8 days to retrieve your final value fees. Also don't be tempted to leave a positive feedback with a negative comment as they would be able to get this removed and maybe even the strike
  • Quiet_One
    Quiet_One Posts: 234 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    kevrod79 wrote: »
    Opened an Item not paid thing on ebay. What kind of feedback should I leave for the supposed buyer?

    Kev

    I have had exactly the same experience -I opened up a none paying bidder claim got my listing fee etc refunded. I decided not to bother leaving feeback at all for the bidder as I'm confident they would do the same to me and ruin my 100% feedback it seems so unfair I know but at least ebay put a black mark against the bidders name from your claim.
    if i had known then what i know now
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.