United Utilities - Empty Property?

Options
Vegeta
Vegeta Posts: 383 Forumite
I have purchased another house and have put my old house on the market to sell.

We have moved from the old house and I notified United Utilities by phone that the property would be empty for atleast 6 months, its unfurnished and is on the market for selling.

They told me they would close down my account on the old property. About a week later I got a bill at the old property adressed to "The Occupier".

On the bill it says "Please pay straight away" but then further down it says:

If this property is now occupied/tenanted or has been bought recently, please contact us straight away to provide details.

If this property is still empty you do not need to contact us until the owner or occupier changes.

I take it I can just ignore this bill then?

Comments

• bluewire
    bluewire Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    If this property is now occupied/tenanted or has been bought recently, please contact us straight away to provide details.

If this property is still empty you do not need to contact us until the owner or occupier changes.

As said in the letter you only need to contact if someone has bought the property or moved in.

As you have done neither you do not need to contact them.

These letters are sent out once a year to empty properties.
  • Vegeta
    Vegeta Posts: 383 Forumite
    Options
    I just received a letter today from United Utilities at the property that is still on the market to sell.

They are saying they will turn off the water supply to the property for leakage prevention purposes unless the property is deemed to not be empty.

What do I do? Is this normal? There is no water meter at the property.

There is a form included with the letter which the "new occupier" is supposed to fill in.
  • robchap_2
    robchap_2 Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    norm they do this when there is outstanding debt and they think there is a chance your lieing about moving out

if you are there you will phone them to stop them shutting the water off if your not there you won't and they can cut the water of until someone moves in
    they say it is to stop leaks but it is also to stop you having free water
  • bluewire
    bluewire Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    This is the norm and is just one of the letters that are sent out to empty propertys.

They very rarly do cut anyone off as it costs money.....they are more likly to send someone out to check if someone lives at the house and to knock on the door.
  • Psykicpup
    Psykicpup Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is normal.... if the property is empty then it doesnt matter if the water is tuened off .. in these cirmunstances it shouldnt cost to have the water turned on again. But if someone had moved it.... and not registered or not replied to the previous cards/knocks then it will prompt them to call... it has nothing to do with a previous debt or thinking people are lying lol
    I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I Know

Supermarket Rebel No 19:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family