We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Cycling to work - kit ideas

catflea
catflea Posts: 6,620 Forumite
Now the summer (haha) is coming I figure its time to dust down the push bike (trek 1200 racer) and get some use from it and save myself some petrol pennies!

I'm intending that I will be riding to the station most days (approx 5 miles each way, with some pretty nasty hills on the way to) Now, I've never used a bike quite this heavily for commuting before (I've done it for about 1/2 mile each way before)

I'm just wondering what kit people think I might need to pack in the bottom of my rucksack (along with my work clothes & lunch!) if it goes well, I will consider finding some panniers that may suit.

Figured so far:
Puncture Kit
Spare Inner
Tyre levers
pump
lights & high vis
Lock
Helmet
deodorant! :)

any other thoughts?
Proud of who, and what, I am. :female::male:
:cool:
«134567

Comments

  • Gordon861
    Gordon861 Posts: 287
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Light weight waterproof for when it does rain.

    Practice, the difference between 0.5 miles and 5 miles could hurt, if you aren't used to it.

    Also, make sure your tyres are pumped to the correct pressure, a slightly flat tyre over that distance will be noticeable.
  • Snippa
    Snippa Posts: 171 Forumite
    edited 23 March 2010 at 1:55PM
    Remember to always take water or some other liquid (I know that sounds stupidly common sense, but I frequently forget!). You can get those backpacks that store water, or a water bottle. Also good energy foods like bananas that help with slow release energy.

    I have a list at home that I made after taking off on a bike with my tent last summer. It was the first time I’d done anything like that distance on a bike and there’s about an A4 page of “things I should have brought”. I’ll dig it out tonight and see if there’s anything on it no one else mentions :o
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I started the 4 miles to work yesterday, I packed:-

    1. Bike.
    2. Helmet.
    3. Oyster Card
  • You should take:

    Puncture outfit (can be self-adhesive patches these days)
    2* Tyre levers
    Multitool containing a range of allen keys and screwdrivers
    LED lights. Get the brightest you can, and an LED helmet light front and rear (if you're wearing a helmet) is extremely valuable

    At 5 miles distance you won't really need liquid unless its an extremely hot day. Hi-viz is your call, I've never felt as though I needed one.

    As an alternative to a pump you could use co2 cylinders, that's what I do, I have a track pump at home. You won't need deodorant, however, a small towel for the end of your journey is useful.
  • If you're taking a spare tube, you shouldn't need the repair kit - just swap the tubes over and fix the damaged one when you get home.

    That's unless you're unlucky enough to get two p*******s on the same day, but if that happened you won't be in the mood to fix one anyway ;)
  • joolsybools
    joolsybools Posts: 1,595
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Read a copy of Cycle Craft by John Franklin too and get a membership of a suitable cycling membership group (insurance etc).
  • joolsybools
    joolsybools Posts: 1,595
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You should take:

    Puncture outfit (can be self-adhesive patches these days)
    2* Tyre levers
    Multitool containing a range of allen keys and screwdrivers
    LED lights. Get the brightest you can, and an LED helmet light front and rear (if you're wearing a helmet) is extremely valuable

    At 5 miles distance you won't really need liquid unless its an extremely hot day. Hi-viz is your call, I've never felt as though I needed one.

    As an alternative to a pump you could use co2 cylinders, that's what I do, I have a track pump at home. You won't need deodorant, however, a small towel for the end of your journey is useful.

    I would disagree with this but I am a girl and I do drink lots of water anyway! You can get a thing that attaches to the frame to put a bottle of water in.
  • joolsybools
    joolsybools Posts: 1,595
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Edited that for you!
    catflea wrote: »
    Now the summer (haha) is coming I figure its time to dust down the push bike (trek 1200 racer) and get some use from it and save myself some petrol pennies!

    I'm intending that I will be riding to the station most days (approx 5 miles each way, with some pretty nasty hills on the way to) Now, I've never used a bike quite this heavily for commuting before (I've done it for about 1/2 mile each way before)

    I'm just wondering what kit people think I might need to pack in the bottom of my rucksack (along with my work clothes & lunch!) if it goes well, I will consider finding some panniers that may suit.

    Figured so far:
    Puncture Kit
    Spare Inner
    Tyre levers
    pump
    lights & high vis
    Lock
    Helmet
    deodorant! :)
    wet wipes ;)

    any other thoughts?
  • catflea
    catflea Posts: 6,620 Forumite
    edited 23 March 2010 at 5:01PM
    You won't need deodorant, however, a small towel for the end of your journey is useful.

    Trust me, I will!!!

    As for the comment re having a spare tube and therefore not needing a puncture kit - it means I can fix it on the train! :rotfl:

    I'm also considering puncture reduction methods and was thinking of getting some panaracer tyre liners (less than the cost of a weeks petrol for two)

    Re the High Vis, I live in the back end of nowhere down unlit roads - better safe than sorry surely?

    Thanks for the replies though guys, very useful! A test ride is in order in the not too distant to see how long it will take me (and just how unfit I really am!)
    Proud of who, and what, I am. :female::male:
    :cool:
  • joolsybools
    joolsybools Posts: 1,595
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    P.S. Get over to Cycle Chat or Bike Radar forum or any other cycling forum of your choice!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.