Medical at home for DLA

Options
Just had a fone call from DLA doctor to say they're coming tomorrow luch time to do my hubbys medical.

Is is usual to contact you the night before? And for them to come to your home?

Just asking as he has his ESA medical next week at a centre.

He's getting very nervous about it.
2020 wins - Espire passes for Gatwick airport lounge

Comments

• ShockingPink
    ShockingPink Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya
    It's 11 years since I had a DLA medical, but mine was at home. I was actually sent an appointment letter, but the day before it was due the doctor phoed asking if he could come round in 2 hours' time!

Tell your DH not to be too nervous, but to be careful how he answersthe questions. Read the doctor's notes before signing anything (I didn't do this!) and ask for a copy of the doctor's report. This will be very useful in case you need to appeal.

Good luck wih it.
    C'est le ton qui fait la chanson
  • jennie-jack
    Options
    they should by law give you 7 days notice and you can tell them this. i had mine with 24 hours notice though and still got my claim sorted. make sure you have anything you need to hand like medications and if you use sticks have them close by. the doctor asked about my conditions and how they effected me and got me to go through a usual day. he then watched me walk although he soon sat me down when i went blue. i really couldnt breathe that day. he mentioned the steps but didnt make me do them.

he was a gp from a local practise so knew my local hospitals, i got hrm and mrc indefinatly after a doctors visit. good luck.
  • CUTESMILE
    CUTESMILE Posts: 1,274 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well that's one medical over and done with.

The Dr came 20 mins late and it lasted an hour.

He went through hubbys problems and looked at his medication and wrote this down.

He saw evidence of his appointment for the rhuematologist but didnt want to see his other appointment cards.

He asked what a typical day was like, what he needs help with.

He got him sitting up and reaching above his head and to make fists and to squeeze his finger (the docs finger inside hubbys fist).

Asked him to show how he could walk, well watched him struggle to get off the settee with his crutch and sort of walk to hallway which was a few steps and climb 2 steps on stairs, then after a struggle to get back to living room he asked me to support hubbys body so he could attempt to bend over and reach his knees. By this time he was puffing and panting and shaking from the excertion and then asked him to lie down and roll his bottoms up to reveal his legs then asked him in turn to raise both legs and bend them as far as he could then move his feet up and down.

Oh asked what aids he had which we showed him his crutches, knee brace and wheelchair.

He seemed ok but had difficulty understanding him sometimes.

Now we carry on the waiting game.

How long afterwards do you get a decision from them?

After his appointment with the rhuemy will we have to contact them and inform them of the outcome of this?
  • Saversue
    Saversue Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    CUTESMILE wrote: »
    Well that's one medical over and done with.

The Dr came 20 mins late and it lasted an hour.

He went through hubbys problems and looked at his medication and wrote this down.

He saw evidence of his appointment for the rhuematologist but didn't want to see his other appointment cards.

He asked what a typical day was like, what he needs help with.

He got him sitting up and reaching above his head and to make fists and to squeeze his finger (the docs finger inside hubbys fist).

Asked him to show how he could walk, well watched him struggle to get off the settee with his crutch and sort of walk to hallway which was a few steps and climb 2 steps on stairs, then after a struggle to get back to living room he asked me to support hubbys body so he could attempt to bend over and reach his knees. By this time he was puffing and panting and shaking from the excertion and then asked him to lie down and roll his bottoms up to reveal his legs then asked him in turn to raise both legs and bend them as far as he could then move his feet up and down.

Oh asked what aids he had which we showed him his crutches, knee brace and wheelchair.

He seemed ok but had difficulty understanding him sometimes.

Now we carry on the waiting game.

How long afterwards do you get a decision from them?

After his appointment with the rhuemy will we have to contact them and inform them of the outcome of this?

Gosh, that seemed pretty scary. I hope you get the DLA you are hoping for. I know how horrible the wait can be as I have just asked for mine to be reviewed because my award was fine , only the time had been decreased. I keep watching for the brown envelope, so far have had three, but only saying being looked into, no decision yet and asking for reports, but it's horrible opening them.
  • CUTESMILE
    Options
    Just remembered that the Dr asked my hubby if our marriage was his first and how long we'd been married and then he asked me how old I was and if it was my first marriage. God know what relevance this is to the medical
  • Trasthmatic
    Options
    CUTESMILE wrote: »
    Just remembered that the Dr asked my hubby if our marriage was his first and how long we'd been married and then he asked me how old I was and if it was my first marriage. God know what relevance this is to the medical

They ask questions to try to establish your cognitive functions and such. My dad was aked how old he was, who was prime minister, how old my mum was and how many children does the Queen have. All a bit random but I guess it lets them work out how in touch with reality someone is.
  • cabrioletaddict
    Options
    wow he did quite a lot dont expect much dla
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,608 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    wow he did quite a lot dont expect much dla

Well thats really helpful~not.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • CUTESMILE
    Options
    I emailed them yesterday to ask how the claim is going as the 40 days is up on Tuesday and hours later I got a curt reply stating that the decision maker had asked for a medical to be done and the doctor would be in touch with us shortly and I replied back stating that in my original email I did say that the medical had already taken place and had no reply back to this.

It's getting me worried and it's so annoying when you see genuine people get turned down when others you see walking around doing every day stuff etc who are swinging the lead.

Where we live there are loads of dead heads not working and people like my hubby who still has a job to go to when he's better getting treat like dirt and this really gets to him and hurts him.

It really makes you wonder if you should be truthful or embelish it a lot more.

When he had his interview with pathways the woman said that genuine people should easy get through and the people with errr pretend back complaints shouldn't but we all know that they say bad back as it's hard to disprove.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    You'd be better off concentrating on your OH rather than other people. It's easy to say that everybody else is on the fiddle. But that doesn't mean it's right to assume it. And using phrases like 'dead heads' is not very nice. Maybe you'd think I was a dead head if you saw me in the street on a day when the medication is working, or my school friend who had 25 separate anaesthetic injections into her spine on Friday - she looks fine today, but was falling apart Wednesday afternoon.

I hope your OH gets the award first time. If not, there are procedures to go through. These are not helped by worrying about anyone else.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family