Vote Counting at Elections?

Options

Comments

• samhuzz
    samhuzz Posts: 721 Forumite
    Options
    I work at the Council and have done it twice. They tend to ask within the Council at mine or they have a list of people they ask. I think you would be more likely to get a Presiding Officer job or the one underneath them as less people seem to want to do this, at my Council anyway. I think the count this time is £70 odd. It is from 10pm until it finishes though.
    Everyone I know wants to be a millionaire.
    Not me, I want to be a billionaire.
  • BeautyandtheBeast_3
    Options
    i just emailed my council and got the stuff through but i wont be ab;e to do it now due to current work load!
    O/S Debt: PL £[STRIKE]15207.34[/STRIKE] £9884.55; HSBC £4060.99; Tesco£1430.15; M&S £5990.17; Virgin [STRIKE]£5158.69[/STRIKE] £4210.14; Egg £4619.00; O/S = ££30,292.42 AIM - To Be Debt Free 56 months
  • Fiver29
    Fiver29 Posts: 18,620 Forumite
    Options
    I emailed my council and they're fully staffed already, but they've put my name on the reserve list in case anyone drops out.
    Moving onto a better place...Ciao :wave:
  • Curveygirl
    Curveygirl Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    scotsbob wrote: »
    I emailed my council and applied to work at the polling centres. I got a letter today offering me a job as a Presiding Officer at a polling station for £235. Polling clerks get £152. Of course this is for a shift lasting from 6.30 AM to 10 PM. I assume the rate is the same throughout the UK.
    No idea what the pay is for the counting centre but it could be a long night if there were recounts.

I think you'll find it s a longer day than that Scotsbob. 6:30 start is probably early enough to get your polling station open for 7am, but you won't close till 10. Even if you cheat and start packing up and do ALL the official paperwork early, there is ALWAYS 1 old gadgey who wants to vote at 10pm (he's the brother of the one impatiently waiting for you to open at 7am), then, as Presiding Officer, you are responsible for getting your ballot box to, either the count, or the van which is going to take it to the count.

I have never managed to get it down to less than 06:30-22:45. And yes, for less money than you have been quoted.

Whoever it was said about people having their feet under the table is sort of right, but it does go both ways. I tried to get out of it once (it is an extremely boring day during which you forget about the good pay and start thinking of all the things you could be doing instead), but they rang me up and begged tearfully. Getting good reliable people can be trickey I think, and once you're on the list, YOU CAN'T GET OFF IT.
    Ssshh - I might know about deals in/near Keswick
  • donnaessex
    donnaessex Posts: 562 Forumite
    Options
    I usually do it - more money for a GE but I cant this time (2 kids under 2!)

I am a presiding officer and usually get around £300+ for a GE and £220+ for a local.

Its a long old day and you do have to put up with several fruitloops during your allotted hours but I like doing it. :)

ETA - on a GE there are usually several recounts so it could be that you are dismissed at 4am and told to come back at 7.30am. Its happened to me once.
    :o Trying to become debt free but this site makes me spend a fortune!!! :o
  • David43
    David43 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Will Tax automatically be deducted when they pay you? Or you have to declare it?
  • bundance
    bundance Posts: 1,114 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Will the DWP allow you to do this if you are on incapacity benefit, and are wanting to do useful things for society as it is only one shift?
  • mollymunchkin
    Options
    David43 wrote: »
    Will Tax automatically be deducted when they pay you? Or you have to declare it?

We get a tax form given to us to fill in at the training session and then the tax is deducted off the cheque payment.

I'm going to be a poll clerk and then straight off to the count. I better book the day off afterwards because I think I'll need a lie in!
    Cos I don't shine if you don't shine.
  • bundance
    bundance Posts: 1,114 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bundance wrote: »
    Will the DWP allow you to do this if you are on incapacity benefit, and are wanting to do useful things for society as it is only one shift?
    bump please
  • newport.david
    newport.david Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    im on the count tonight after registering myself with the council about 6 months ago.

only getting a cheque for £50 though - have been told that generally it is over by 2am (starts at 10pm) - better pay than my day job.

am a little bit nervous about walking in somewhere new like this and there has been no training but need to just do it - £50 is very handy to be honest!

hoping next time to get a polling station role, they were full up this time.

I realise they might do it differently in different areas (I'm in Newport) but can someone tell me how they organise it?

Do some people sort and then some people count? Maybe I'll just be allotted to one or the other or allowed to choose?

thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport