Forum Home» Boost Your Income

Vote Counting at Elections?

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Vote Counting at Elections?

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Boost Your Income
26 replies 33.3K views
josiejosie Forumite
3.1K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Boost Your Income
Someone told me that you can get paid for counting votes at the election - does anyone know how to apply or if it's true?

Replies

• busiscoming2busiscoming2 Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes you can although I have never done it. I emailed the electoral services dept at my local council and they have sent me the application forms for this coming election. HTH's.
  • I was asked to work at the counts a few times when I worked in a bank. It wasn't much money, about £20, but that was a few years ago now.
    From Starrystarrynight to Starrystarrynight1 and now I'm back...don't have a clue how!
  • meandmaboymeandmaboy Forumite
    470 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    josie wrote: »
    Someone told me that you can get paid for counting votes at the election - does anyone know how to apply or if it's true?

I've done this a few times I went onto the Council Website & filled out the application forms for all the different jobs available.
    I got selected to count the 'votes' twice & @ the last 'General Election' I was lucky enough to get a job in the Polling Stations.
    Our Council keep your name on file & send out the paperwork to ask if you are still interested when the 'elections' are due.
    The pay is okay for any of the jobs.

hth
  • You can earn quite good money if you are bent. Particularly if you live in a marginal constituancy.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • josiejosie Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Someone else on here saying it's >£100 for the night. I emailed my council to ask on 20/3 - no response! :(
  • scotsbobscotsbob Forumite
    4.6K posts
    I emailed my council and applied to work at the polling centres. I got a letter today offering me a job as a Presiding Officer at a polling station for £235. Polling clerks get £152. Of course this is for a shift lasting from 6.30 AM to 10 PM. I assume the rate is the same throughout the UK.
    No idea what the pay is for the counting centre but it could be a long night if there were recounts.
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    66.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I was offered the chance to count votes (had to decline though as already booked for work until quite late that day) £125, start at 9.55 pm and work until finished. My son is doing it this time and we both registered for work about 4/6 weeks ago.

Tax will be deducted unless you fill out the usual HMRC form to state that you have allowances to cover.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • Owain_MoneysaverOwain_Moneysaver Forumite
    11.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    scotsbob wrote: »
    I emailed my council and applied to work at the polling centres. I got a letter today offering me a job as a Presiding Officer at a polling station for £235. .... I assume the rate is the same throughout the UK.

No, it's not. :(

But there's an extra £50 for the training session :)

Less tax, of course :(
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • glentglent Forumite
    91 posts
    I have Emailed my council twice in the last few weeks to no avail.

I live in a small town and the people who did it last time have thier feet under the table sort it speak. Seems like a decent wager though :mad:
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support