How to light a wood burning stove.

Options
I've come accross a few people with issues lighting and running a wood burning stove so though i'd create a video to show how it can be done.

Hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7ewoH7FWT0

Comments

• pinkmami
    pinkmami Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    Options
    Can I just say thanks for this?!

DH & I had (certainly no experts!!) a go at lighting it to get rid of the fumes etc...& the fire was pants. So I came home & watched this footage & then had another go - WOW! Result!
  • crphillips
    crphillips Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    Glad you found it useful. I waffle a bit in the vid but it;s my first time in front of a camera.....going to do a shortened version with less waffle but all the stuff said in the video is important to make lighting a fire easy.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good vid, I'm a stove veteran myself but it's not always easy for new stove owners to understand the best way to light theirs, your video demonstrates this well.
  • foolsgold99
    foolsgold99 Posts: 408 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Excellent video. Very useful, especially explaining the use of the different vent controls.

Another wee tip that I use. I don't bother much with chopped kindling. If you have a 'Home Bargains' shop near you, they sell the firelogs for £1. I buy these up and saw them into 4 (25p each) like a Swiss Roll. I use a cardboard wine holder from any supermarket to easily store them. These light easily and burn for ages allowing me to light it and them add bigger logs striaght away. I can then walk away and pretty much leave it to catch.

These logs are ofetn more expensive elsewhere and so this tip is only really worthwhile if you have a a Home Bargains near you.
  • patjenkins
    patjenkins Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    I found this guide to lighting a wood burning stove quite useful also. Great video CR it's good to see it in action rather than written down!
    favicon.ico PR: [URL="javascript:{}"]wait...[/URL]favicon.ico I: [URL="javascript:{}"]wait...[/URL]favicon.ico L: [URL="javascript:{}"]wait...[/URL]favicon.ico LD: [URL="javascript:{}"]wait...[/URL]favicon.ico I: [URL="javascript:{}"]wait...[/URL][URL="javascript:{}"]wait...[/URL]favicon.ico Rank: [URL="javascript:{}"]wait...[/URL]favicon.ico Traffic: [URL="javascript:{}"]wait...[/URL]favicon.ico Price: [URL="javascript:{}"]wait...[/URL]favicon.ico C: [URL="javascript:{}"]wait...[/URL]
    [IMG]chrome://seoquake/content/skin/close.gif[/IMG]
  • crphillips
    crphillips Posts: 349 Forumite
    edited 23 April 2010 at 8:51PM
    Options
    Yeah thats what i thought......somehow you can't get the point accross by writing something down. Videos seem much more effective.

Foolsgold.....i actaully bought a bag of natural firelighters once.....they were great. They're harvested from the root of a tree and are very dense in resin content. You can literally set fire straight to the wood and it burns for ages meaning you can add bigger logs sooner. If anyone can tell me what species of tree that these roots are from please speak up as i'd be interested to know.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure