PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Pickling beetroot

Options

Comments

• katskorner
    katskorner Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    Options
    The leaves are sensational steamed..... even my toddler will eat them and believe me, that is an acheivement!!!!
    3 kids(DS1 6 Nov, DS2 8 Feb, DS3 24 Dec) a hubby and two cats - I love to save every penny I can!
    :beer:
  • emilyt
    emilyt Posts: 2,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Really excited just had to share.:D
    We went to Buxton market on saturday. The stores had all closed up except the veggie store. I managesd to get 2 huge bunches of beetroot for 50p. ;) Anyway i cooked it today and sliced it up. I have now got 5 jars of beetroot. :j I have used malt vinegar to preserve it. It it ok to use malt vinegar. I was told by my mother in law i should have used a pickling vinegar. Does anyone else make their own beetroot. I could never go back to buying shop bought as it tastes delicious. :T
    When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile :D
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    emilyt wrote: »
    Really excited just had to share.:D
    We went to Buxton market on saturday. The stores had all closed up except the veggie store. I managesd to get 2 huge bunches of beetroot for 50p. ;) Anyway i cooked it today and sliced it up. I have now got 5 jars of beetroot. :j I have used malt vinegar to preserve it. It it ok to use malt vinegar. I was told by my mother in law i should have used a pickling vinegar. Does anyone else make their own beetroot. I could never go back to buying shop bought as it tastes delicious. :T

From wikipedia:-
    Pickling, also known as brining or corning, is the process of preserving food by anaerobic fermentation in brine (a solution of salt in water), to produce lactic acid, or marinating and storing it in an acid solution, usually vinegar (acetic acid). The resulting food is called a pickle. This procedure gives the food a salty or sour taste.
    The distinguishing feature is a pH less than 4.6[1], which is sufficient to kill most necrobacteria. Pickling can preserve perishable foods for months. Antimicrobial herbs and spices, such as mustard, garlic, cinnamon or cloves, are often added.[2]
    I'd read that as it's OK to use straight vinegar. I do know that pickling vinegar has added spices - and for a bet they're the ones listed in that quote. So if you'd like to add one or more of them you'll need to do some research as to quantities per pint.

I've just found an older thread and added your post to it. Well worth a read from the beginning.

As may be some of these...

pickling threads here on MoneySaving Old Style
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • emilyt
    Options
    Thankyou Squeaky.
    I try to find the threads but the search doesn't seem to work well for me. I must be doing something wrong.
    Thanks again
    Emily
    When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile :D
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    emilyt wrote: »
    Thankyou Squeaky.
    I try to find the threads but the search doesn't seem to work well for me. I must be doing something wrong.
    Thanks again
    Emily

You're welcome. Try the first post here...

Quick search help

(You may be still set to only look back one month.)

Otherwise it's a case of picking the best search words - and that's an art in itself :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • emilyt
    Options
    :rotfl: :eek:
    squeaky wrote: »
    You're welcome. Try the first post here...

Quick search help

(You may be still set to only look back one month.)

Otherwise it's a case of picking the best search words - and that's an art in itself :)

Thats really helpful thankyou.:D I just did the search this forum. Now i know where i was going wrong. :o You are so clever.:T

P.s Only just realised you are a man.:o For some reason i always thought you were a woman. :eek: Not that it makes any difference. I am so dumb at times. LOL:rotfl:
  • princess_loki
    Options
    i have loads of cider vinegar - can i use that to pickle my beetroot?
    it's nice to be important but more important to be nice!! :kisses3:
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    My white beetroot is cooked. What's all this I see about sterilising jars? How? What with? Do I have to?

I was just going to use an old (washed!) Branston pickle jar. :o

Would I be correct in assuming I just fill the jar with sliced beetroot and pour the vinegar (Sarson's Pickling Vinegar) over the top?
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My white beetroot is cooked. What's all this I see about sterilising jars? How? What with? Do I have to?

I was just going to use an old (washed!) Branston pickle jar. :o

Would I be correct in assuming I just fill the jar with sliced beetroot and pour the vinegar (Sarson's Pickling Vinegar) over the top?

Yes, just allow the beetroot to cool after cooking then add to the jars and top with the vinegar.

It's probably best to sterilise the jars. It's very easy, just give them a good wash and pop them into the oven (140 degrees) for about 20 minutes.

I don't have a dishwasher, but I know that some people just use the dishwasher to sterilise them.

More advice here: sterilising jam jars - whats the easiest way?

Pink
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks again Pink. :D

How soon after I pickle it will it be ready?
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure